Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grizzfan8390

Hollin's Interview On Sports56

234 posts in this topic

What's with the Joerger man-love happening here?

Dude gets a good track record in the summer league, now everybody wants him to be head coach.

If Hollins is gone, it wont hurt signing him I guess.

What's with the Joerger man-love happening here? Dude gets a good track record in the summer league, now everybody wants him to be head coach. If Hollins is gone, it wont hurt signing him I guess.

ICYMI, I'm pretty sure FO would not have let Hollins go if they didn't already have a back up plan. And that back up plan's name is Joerger.

Is he coming back?

Doesn't seem very likely he will be. Hollins will be exploring options with other teams like the Nets and Clippers, while the Griz will interview Joerger I believe.

No official word though. Still a possiblity Lionel is back, but it seems remote.

Seems to me that it was one of those passing systems that devastated us in the last playoff series.

Exactly. Spurs are known for disecting defenses with the extra pass. There is nothing wrong with our system but player execution.

Grizz offensive scenario: screen, pass pass BRICK. That's not on Hollins' hands. We do not need a new head coach with a stable system intact. We need to develop our new guys and seek a consistent shooter.

I wouldn't be against Marc increasing his range .

I am a firm believer of the classic saying " if it ain't broken, then don't fix it."

Seems to me Hollins is desperate. Only 2 head coaching job openings still available out there, BKN and LAC. And he's got some good coaches also fighting for those jobs. Even if he changes his tone now and wants to sort out the differences with FO, I think he is still the person he is and won't change his approach. It's better to stay away from a coach who is not on the same page. To be fair though, Hollins is a good and successful coach and there is no question about it. He has accomplished a lot as a head coach of the Grizzlies. Unfortunately, he may not be the right coach for this franchise going forward.

Why does Brian Shaw still not have a job?

Not a rhetorical question - I really don't get it.

. If LH isn't the coach they believe in, then fire him, the assistants, and blow up the team then LET THE NEW GUY(with the system that you like) BUILD his team. That means you start over and probably will loose for a while. One last thing, cannot change the philosophy of a team without starting over.

+1

He doesn't want to take a job on a bad team. He turned down a couple job offers last year, one was the bobcats and I can't recall the other. He wants to coach a winning team and I for one don't blame him at all. Franchises like the bobcats and kings have killed some good coaches. Larry brown could barely look respectable in charlotte

I remember reading an article stating he wanted the right situation. Charlotte, Orlando, and Portland were extremely interested but Shaw turned them down. Plus, his family likes living in Indy.

What's with the Joerger man-love happening here? Dude gets a good track record in the summer league, now everybody wants him to be head coach. If Hollins is gone, it wont hurt signing him I guess.

He's young, he's a fresh basketball mind and he's got a proven track record in many levels of basketball play not just the summer league. Not to mention a top head coach candidate last season.

Also according to Lionel himself he should get the credit for the Defense and also the Offense. So i guess we can stop crediting Joerger and blaming Bibby.

Also according to Lionel himself he should get the credit for the Defense and also the Offense. So i guess we can stop crediting Joerger and blaming Bibby.

I thought that somewhere in this thread he was quoted as saying that Thornton was the offensive coach?

I've not decided whether I want Hollins back or not. I believe we'll still be really good either way short term, but we need to figure out the offense.. Get a better coach to run the offense. This coaching drama is not a necessity with all the other things we need.

Why does Brian Shaw still not have a job? Not a rhetorical question - I really don't get it.

I've always been surprised he's considered such a hot head coaching candidate. Former players who make good coaches tend to have been hard working players & leaders w/exceptional b-ball IQ's. Shaw was the antithesis of that as a player. Phil Jackson utilized him well as a former teammate to bridge the gap between the coaches and players, but I will be surprised to see him excel as a head coach.

I've not decided whether I want Hollins back or not. I believe we'll still be really good either way short term, but we need to figure out the offense.. Get a better coach to run the offense. This coaching drama is not a necessity with all the other things we need.

1000% +

I've always been surprised he's considered such a hot head coaching candidate. Former players who make good coaches tend to have been hard working players & leaders w/exceptional b-ball IQ's. Shaw was the antithesis of that as a player. Phil Jackson utilized him well as a former teammate to bridge the gap between the coaches and players, but I will be surprised to see him excel as a head coach.

I agree. His connection with Phil Jackson is a HUGE reason he is a good candidate.

Pertaining to the Grizz, Hollins' resume speaks for itself. If Hollinger's such a mathematician, why can't he recognize Hollins' progressive numbers as the head coach?

(

I agree. His connection with Phil Jackson is a HUGE reason he is a good candidate.

Careful with that reasoning, Kurt Rambis had a connection with Phil Jackson and was a Lakers assistant coach at the same time as Shaw. Ask the T-Wolves how that worked for them when he was hired as a head coach.

Careful with that reasoning, Kurt Rambis had a connection with Phil Jackson and was a Lakers assistant coach at the same time as Shaw. Ask the T-Wolves how that worked for them when he was hired as a head coach.

You can't really compare the 2 though. Kurt Rambis was in charge of nothing on Phil Jackson's staff, Brain Shaw is the associate head coach ( basically like the defensive coordinator, the same position Tom Thibidoue had in Boston.) for the best defensive team in the league. I'd say he has experience.

You can't really compare the 2 though. Kurt Rambis was in charge of nothing on Phil Jackson's staff, Brain Shaw is the associate head coach ( basically like the defensive coordinator, the same position Tom Thibidoue had in Boston.) for the best defensive team in the league. I'd say he has experience.

Well, that's my whole point. I was answering to Yog1's argument mentioning his association to PJax as a huge factor for considering Shaw. I'm arguing that association with a successful coach is not that significant by itself.

I just fear losing the fanbase cuz this couldn't come at a worse time. Hollins we all know is known for being hard nose and edgy but the city has embraced winning and despite reports of his temper will take his leaving in a negative light.

So the Clippers are bringing in the L-Train for an interview. What a mess...

The Los Angeles Clippers have received permission to interview Lionel Hollins.

Hollins led the Memphis Grizzlies to the Western Conference Finals, but is unlikely to return.

The Clippers are searching for a replacement for Vinny Del Negro.

A source said, however, that Brian Shaw remains the leading candidate. Reports also indicate that the Brooklyn Nets have identified Shaw as their top candidate.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/228004/Clippers-Receive-Permission-To-Interview-Lionel-Hollins

Also this from ESPN:

Hollins said Monday that he doesn't want to leave the Grizzlies but will discuss jobs with other teams if he has "no choice."

I just fear losing the fanbase cuz this couldn't come at a worse time. Hollins we all know is known for being hard nose and edgy but the city has embraced winning and despite reports of his temper will take his leaving in a negative light.

The only way we lose the fan base is by not making the playoffs or by getting swept in the 1st round by a clearly inferior team. I think most fans just want to see wins and will wait to make judgements.