Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lordninja11

Hollins Had Confrontation With Grizzlies Exec John Hollinger

65 posts in this topic

From what I've seen from.them so far we need a better backup period.

first of all, Arthur was a putrid scorer. You don't even need advanced stats, 6.1 points on 6.1 shots a game is extremely horrible. For the whole season he had 3 more points than field goals taken, that is just ridiculously awful for a guy playing 16 minutes a game. And no he's not the better defender. Davis had the better individual defensive rating by a mile, he also had the far superior WS per 48 minutes. Anyways, when Arthur was on the court the Grizzlies had a terrible 106 defensive rating but a 99.8 off it. With Ed Davis, it was 99.8 with him on the court and 101.8 off the court so the Grizzlies defense got slightly better when he was on the floor as opposed to Arthur were his numerous defensive lapses collapsed the Memphis defense. Davis' last two years with defensive win shares also beat anything Arthur ever did in his best season despite playing for a terrible Toronto team. Arthur completely fails the eye test too unless you're blind. Darrell Arthur was unquestionably the worst player on the roster last year and it was not even close no matter what you want to use to measure effectiveness or being good. Let's get one thing straight though, I don't think of Ed Davis as some future all-star big who will destroy anything in his path. However, right now, at worst somebody could legitimately argue that he's an average player. That is still a lot better than playing one of the worst rotation players in the entire league major minutes.

The only explanation for people still touting Darrell over Davis is because of their undying support of All Things Lionel. If the decision had nothing to do with Analytics and Lionel then everyone would admit that DA was terrible this year and has never comeback to his 2011 form. But they are so afraid to admit Lionel was wrong about him because it may show validity to some of the criticisms of Hollins that they ignore the obvious. These same folks will probably argue that Xavier playing over Tony was pure genuis as well.

I am not a Hollins fan but i can admit that he is a Good Coach and have a million times. I just get frustrated when fans ignore all his shortcomings and how they can affect the decision-makers selection of him.

That's why I said the per 36 numbers. It extrapolates from what they did perform to an even field. Davis was not demonstrably better than Arthur this season once he joined the Grizzlies. If the straight comparison doesn't work for you, use the per 36 numbers for the entire Grizzlies season. http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MEM/2013.html#all_per_minute Ed did better from the field, but was abysmal from the line (57%). Davis was a stronger rebounder, but Arthur was the better scorer and the better defender (more defensive win shares).

The point is that you need a minimum amount of minutes played for any of the per 36 numbers to be valid. Davis simply did not play enough minutes in the playoffs for his numbers to mean very much, if anything. Not enough of a sample size.

The point is that you need a minimum amount of minutes played for any of the per 36 numbers to be valid. Davis simply did not play enough minutes in the playoffs for his numbers to mean very much, if anything. Not enough of a sample size.

Correct

the short sample size king is Hamed in per 36 numbers only Wilt Chamberlain was more impactful than he was LOL

The only explanation for people still touting Darrell over Davis is because of their undying support of All Things Lionel. If the decision had nothing to do with Analytics and Lionel then everyone would admit that DA was terrible this year and has never comeback to his 2011 form. But they are so afraid to admit Lionel was wrong about him because it may show validity to some of the criticisms of Hollins that they ignore the obvious. These same folks will probably argue that Xavier playing over Tony was pure genuis as well. I am not a Hollins fan but i can admit that he is a Good Coach and have a million times. I just get frustrated when fans ignore all his shortcomings and how they can affect the decision-makers selection of him.

Or there could be another answer.

You may believe that Darrell Arthur was much better on the pick and roll, although not perfect, than Ed Davis. Davis is uncomfortable even a few feet from the basket and the Spurs are an excellent (moving) pick and roll team. Maybe Hollins went with the player he saw in practice better equiped to handle the strength of the opposing teams.

Or there could be another answer. You may believe that Darrell Arthur was much better on the pick and roll, although not perfect, than Ed Davis. Davis is uncomfortable even a few feet from the basket and the Spurs are an excellent (moving) pick and roll team. Maybe Hollins went with the player he saw in practice better equiped to handle the strength of the opposing teams.

That is one series i am talking about overall. Zbo was really the reason we got destroyed on PickNRoll, Tony Parker feasted on his inability to stay with him. Off topic a bit I think Fatigue also killed us against the Spurs our guys weren't used to playing that hard that deep into the season. While Pops had his team pretty fresh. This also affected our FT shooting and shooting in general and inability to focus on defense.

That is one series i am talking about overall. Zbo was really the reason we got destroyed on PickNRoll, Tony Parker feasted on his inability to stay with him. Off topic a bit I think Fatigue also killed us against the Spurs our guys weren't used to playing that hard that deep into the season. While Pops had his team pretty fresh. This also affected our FT shooting and shooting in general and inability to focus on defense.

Yes, fatigue was a huge factor. Prince's declining performance was a key indicator of this.

I think we could have taken the Spurs to 6 games if Hollins had put Quincy in the starting lineup. I think the the Spurs series exposed a lot of Hollins coaching flaws and didn't do him any favors for his coaching career. I also believe if Westbrook had been healthy and we lost to OKC, he would have had more coaching opportunities mainly because a lot of those open positions filled by the time Spurs series got going.

If Hollins is let go and I wanted to go with an unexperienced coach with no nba experience this would be my list:

Tom Izzo (Michigan State)

Billy Donovan (Florida)

Shaka Smart (VCU)

Jim Boeheim (Syracuse)

Lorenz Romar (Washington State Huskies)

and then I would consider former NBA players like Patrick Ewing, Chuck Person and players like Jeff Hornacek (who was just recently hired) that thoroughly know and understand the NBA game inside and out and understand the dynamics and politics of it.

If Hollins is let go and I wanted to go with an unexperienced coach with no nba experience this would be my list: Tom Izzo (Michigan State) Billy Donovan (Florida) Shaka Smart (VCU) Jim Boeheim (Syracuse) Lorenz Romar (Washington State Huskies) and then I would consider former NBA players like Patrick Ewing, Chuck Person and players like Jeff Hornacek (who was just recently hired) that thoroughly know and understand the NBA game inside and out and understand the dynamics and politics of it.

Fail. ^

During the Grizzlies' playoff run, tensions turned to a confrontation whenHollins exploded during a practice session upon finding Hollinger had walked onto the practice court and engaged forward Austin Daye during a shooting drill, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports. With the team watching – and with a motive to show his players that he was completely in charge on the floor, sources said – Hollins loudly questionedHollinger about what he was doing, and why he believed it was appropriate for a management official to intrude on what's considered sacred territory for a coach and team, sources said. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1659440-report-lionel-hollins-had-confrontation-with-grizzlies-exec-john-hollinger

Sorry if this has been brought up, but has there been a more specific report of when this incident happened?

I'm curious if Hollins didn't dress Daye to try to get his point across to the FO.

Sorry if this has been brought up, but has there been a more specific report of when this incident happened?

I'm curious if Hollins didn't dress Daye to try to get his point across to the FO.

Lionel said it happened during the Clippers series.

Lionel said it happened during the Clippers series.

point taken now he will have to search for a new job

LH also said it was overblown.

this the same guy that said tony allen couldn't guard durant

this the same guy that said tony allen couldn't guard durant

Haha.