Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lordninja11

Hollins Had Confrontation With Grizzlies Exec John Hollinger

65 posts in this topic

During the Grizzlies' playoff run, tensions turned to a confrontation whenHollins exploded during a practice session upon finding Hollinger had walked onto the practice court and engaged forward Austin Daye during a shooting drill, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports.

With the team watching – and with a motive to show his players that he was completely in charge on the floor, sources said – Hollins loudly questionedHollinger about what he was doing, and why he believed it was appropriate for a management official to intrude on what's considered sacred territory for a coach and team, sources said.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1659440-report-lionel-hollins-had-confrontation-with-grizzlies-exec-john-hollinger

Sounds like Hollinger was wrong... old news anyway.

Wrong or right, it's not a good idea to confront management in front of players unless they are way way out of line. Hollinger didn't do anything that bad.

The proper time to do what Hollins did would be later in Hollingers office. Hollins seems to have an anger management problem.

Hollinger was wrong, Hollins handled it poorly... It's a big deal though...

Wrong or right, it's not a good idea to confront management in front of players unless they are way way out of line. Hollinger didn't do anything that bad. The proper time to do what Hollins did would be later in Hollingers office. Hollins seems to have an anger management problem.

I agree, I mean, he's your boss why humiliate him (if that's what happened - I have my doubts about this story)?

I agree, I mean, he's your boss why humiliate him (if that's what happened - I have my doubts about this story)?
Whose boss? I thought Levian was his boss and Hollinger was just a consultant.

Whose boss? I thought Levian was his boss and Hollinger was just a consultant.

Nope, he's VP of Basketball Operations which is higher up in the food chain. Agree that Levien's the real boss, but Levien hired Hollinger and probably didn't like that Hollins dissed him like that.

you know its a link on the story right...

S.I. reported it as well so I'm sure it's legit. I think he may really have some anger management issues. He seems almost as reactionary with players/FO staff/reporters as I am with bad losses. :P

Yes, but the original story is from Adrien Wojnarowski, who has a history of overblowing stories that make Hollinger look bad. For example, after the Rudy trade, he wrote this:

"Levien is making these deals based largely on the recommendations of John Hollinger, a statistician who worked for a cable sports company. The San Antonio Spurs once used him as a consultant and regretfully took his advice to sign a free agent named Jackie Butler. It was such a disaster, the Spurs had to attach Luis Scola to a trade to get Butler out of town."

He deliberately cherry picks a story to make Hollinger look bad (ignoring how Hollinger's strengths, for example, the fact that he has beat Vegas predictions every year). So I wouldn't be surprised if Woj overblew the Hollins/Hollinger interaction to make Hollinger look bad.

Hollinger was wrong, Hollins handled it poorly... It's a big deal though...
Agreed

Yes, but the original story is from Adrien Wojnarowski, who has a history of overblowing stories that make Hollinger look bad. For example, after the Rudy trade, he wrote this: "Levien is making these deals based largely on the recommendations of John Hollinger, a statistician who worked for a cable sports company. The San Antonio Spurs once used him as a consultant and regretfully took his advice to sign a free agent named Jackie Butler. It was such a disaster, the Spurs had to attach Luis Scola to a trade to get Butler out of town." He deliberately cherry picks a story to make Hollinger look bad (ignoring how Hollinger's strengths, for example, the fact that he has beat Vegas predictions every year). So I wouldn't be surprised if Woj overblew the Hollins/Hollinger interaction to make Hollinger look bad.

This is basically what Hollins said today on Peter Edmiston's radio show. He said Adrian was way off base on what happened.

This is basically what Hollins said today on Peter Edmiston's radio show. He said Adrian was way off base on what happened.

Also could be that Hollins is trying to mend some fences.

Also could be that Hollins is trying to mend some fences.

With who? He said Hollinger was wrong but he and John made peace.

Seems like the Front Office isn't interested in peace. They want someone on the same page as them and Hollins isn't there.

During the Grizzlies' playoff run, tensions turned to a confrontation whenHollins exploded during a practice session upon finding Hollinger had walked onto the practice court and engaged forward Austin Daye during a shooting drill, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports. With the team watching – and with a motive to show his players that he was completely in charge on the floor, sources said – Hollins loudly questionedHollinger about what he was doing, and why he believed it was appropriate for a management official to intrude on what's considered sacred territory for a coach and team, sources said. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1659440-report-lionel-hollins-had-confrontation-with-grizzlies-exec-john-hollinger

Wow, could the writing on the wall be any clearer at this point?

Hollinger is obviously a huge Austin Daye fan.

Wow, could the writing on the wall be any clearer at this point? Hollinger is obviously a huge Austin Daye fan.
yea it's over i for hollins and Daye

Hollins is clearly uncomfortable with any Front Office involvement with the team and the FO is clearly wanting more input in the same.

When the boss wants you to do something you can either do it, resign or get fired. Hollins isn't giving in on his demand of total autonomy with the team and the FO is the boss. Guess who's going to lose this battle?

Hollins is clearly uncomfortable with any Front Office involvement with the team and the FO is clearly wanting more input in the same.

When the boss wants you to do something you can either do it, resign or get fired. Hollins isn't giving in on his demand of total autonomy with the team and the FO is the boss. Guess who's going to lose this battle?

If he's not careful, he may not be a head coach next season. Several of the head coaching positions have been filled by now. The Nets don't seem interested anymore judging from the reports we're hearing now. The Clippers may be a possibility, but they're also looking at a number of other guys,

Other front offices may be hesitant to hire a 60 year old coach who doesn't want to collaborate with the FO. The winning record helps him, but he's competing with guys who have winning records as well.

If he's not careful, he may not be a head coach next season. Several of the head coaching positions have been filled by now. The Nets don't seem interested anymore judging from the reports we're hearing now. The Clippers may be a possibility, but they're also looking at a number of other guys, Other front offices may be hesitant to hire a 60 year old coach who doesn't want to collaborate with the FO. The winning record helps him, but he's competing with guys who have winning records as well.
i'm sure he will do nba tv until something opens up

If he's not careful, he may not be a head coach next season. Several of the head coaching positions have been filled by now. The Nets don't seem interested anymore judging from the reports we're hearing now. The Clippers may be a possibility, but they're also looking at a number of other guys, Other front offices may be hesitant to hire a 60 year old coach who doesn't want to collaborate with the FO. The winning record helps him, but he's competing with guys who have winning records as well.
Also, if Hollins doesn't get a good job the FO will be even more reviled by fans than they are now. I think most people understand Hollins isn't right fit for this org, but would be pi**ed if he comes out looking like a loser

Also, if Hollins doesn't get a good job the FO will be even more reviled by fans than they are now. I think most people understand Hollins isn't right fit for this org, but would be pi**ed if he comes out looking like a loser

Nobody in Memphis will give a care about Hollins if the team continues to win.

If the team fails to win then the only reason for the losses will be because Hollins isn't coaching.

I think the clippers and.nets want Shaw.