Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

Grizzlies Give Hollins Permission To Interview With Other Teams

Adrian Wojnarowski@WojYahooNBA

50m

Memphis has given permission to coach Lionel Hollins to speak to other teams, league source tells Y! Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski@WojYahooNBA47m

Talks between Memphis and Lionel Hollins have been ongoing for several days, but stalled on Saturday night, sources tell Y! Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski@WojYahooNBA22m

Memphis and Hollins never seriously discussed financial terms and year, sources tell Y! "Major philosophical differences," one source says.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Asked two sources with direct knowledge of Grizzlies-Hollins talks if they believe he's coached his final game there. Both answered: "Yes."

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Well, bye Lionel.

He deserves props for what he accomplished, but he's simply hit his ceiling. His "my way, or the highway" technique cannot take this team to the next level. It seems he's even using this philosophy in his contract negotiations.

Hire Joerger immediately.

Yeah, Lionel's gone.

For sure. You don't voluntarily allow someone to talk with other teams a month before his contract ends unless you've lostnterest in retaining him.

It's the end of an era, but the start of a new one too. I smell a championship if we can grab DJ.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Asked two sources with direct knowledge of Grizzlies-Hollins talks if they believe he's coached his final game there. Both answered: "Yes."

Kind of a dumb move on his end to shut things down with the Grizzlies this early. With Memphis out of the picture, other teams will probably feel less pressured to give him top money.

I think it's obvious that his attitude did him in. The JB push on the bench right before getting swept (and on live national TV) was probably the last straw for the FO.

congratulations to Dave Joerger for getting his 1st head coaching job. This is also good news for Wroten and Davis imo since they'll actually get development pt next year. And yes people, it's possible to develop players and win games at the same time

Hollins was the final staple of the tough-nosed, all-business, No-BS Heisley era.

Now we enter a nerdier Grizz era predicated upon mathematics.

Look for Stephen Hawking to be interviewed for the vacant head-coaching position shortly.

congratulations to Dave Joerger for getting his 1st head coaching job. This is also good news for Wroten and Davis imo since they'll actually get development pt next year. And yes people, it's possible to develop players and win games at the same time

Lol, good point. Hollins was putting us on a road to failure. The revolving door we've had with rookies has been crazy. It's hurt our future. He basically developed Mike/Marc and said that was enough.

I think this could also mean Z-Bo is gone. And you never know, maybe TA too.

Hollins was the final staple of the tough-nosed, all-business, No-BS Heisley era.

Now we enter a nerdier Grizz era predicated upon mathematics.

Look for Stephen Hawking to be interviewed for the vacant head-coaching position shortly.

I've absolutely loved the "Grit/Grind" era (and I hope we keep the motto) but as we saw this year, there's only so far a system like that can go. I'm not trying to minimize our accomplishments or anything, but there IS a big difference between qualifying for the WCF and winning a Championship. It's time to start moving in a new direction.

Lol, good point. Hollins was putting us on a road to failure. The revolving door we've had with rookies has been crazy. It's hurt our future. He basically developed Mike/Marc and said that was enough.

Maybe because those are the only 2 players that are good?

Maybe because those are the only 2 players that are good?

How are you supposed to know if a player's good or not if you never play them? It became an obvious trend in Lionel's book: if you're a rookie, you don't play. Period. That's why talent with a LOT of potential (Wroten) sat on the bench all year while a "veteran" (Dooling) was allowed to stink it up on the floor.

It's a coaching bias that has seriously stunted this team's development, IMO.

I've read multiple places that Joeger and TA are very very close..

Couldn't disagree more, hollins wanted them gone, I think the FO views those two guys as the heart and soul of this team

Failing to develop Gay and Mayo was inexcusable

Aren't you the biggest Rudy Gay hater on this board? Since when did his offensive regression become Hollins' fault, especially when he has only slightly improved since going to TOR?

Mayo failed because Tony Allen was a better overall player. Again, it isn't Hollins' fault for playing the better player.

We're going to receive a ton of national backlash from people who know absolutely nothing about this organization, and I am worried about this new regime, but letting Lionel go is the right move.

I love the culture he has brought to this team, but an NBA team that doesn't run an offense is never going to make it to the Promised Land. I'm also excited that Tony Wroten may actually be given a chance. I think he's going to be a beauty.

Great 1st move from FO. Now that LH is gone and Joerger seems to be the coach Im really excited about this offseason and the cahnces of a title next year, Bibby must get out too and we need to find a coach to help the O.

Aren't you the biggest Rudy Gay hater on this board? Since when did his offensive regression become Hollins' fault, especially when he has only slightly improved since going to TOR?

Mayo failed because Tony Allen was a better overall player. Again, it isn't Hollins' fault for playing the better player.

LH failed with OJ, Rudy, Vasquez, Sam and was in his way to kill Davis, TW and Leuer career as Grizzlies.

Seems like Lionel had a little confrontation with Hollinger at practice during the playoffs:

During the Grizzlies' playoff run, tensions turned to a confrontation when Hollins exploded during a practice session upon finding Hollinger had walked onto the practice court and engaged forwardAustin Daye during a shooting drill, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports.

With the team watching – and with a motive to show his players that he was completely in charge on the floor, sources said – Hollins loudly questioned Hollinger about what he was doing, and why he believed it was appropriate for a management official to intrude on what's considered sacred territory for a coach and team, sources said.

Does Lionel have anger issues? That's a serious question. I think dude needs help.

LH failed with OJ, Rudy, Vasquez, Sam and was in his way to kill Davis, TW and Leuer career as Grizzlies.

This statement makes no sense whatsoever. I find it funny that when these players were here, it was their fault they sucked but now that the coach is on his way out of the door, now it LH's fault that all of those players sucked as Grizz. Players have a lot to do with developing themselves. I also saw some comment about Joerger will now develop players? Really, if he's that great at doing it, why didn't he do it as an assistant coach? He certainly had the opportunity to do it.

Aren't you the biggest Rudy Gay hater on this board? Since when did his offensive regression become Hollins' fault, especially when he has only slightly improved since going to TOR? Mayo failed because Tony Allen was a better overall player. Again, it isn't Hollins' fault for playing the better player.

I don't understand people trying to blame player's lack of meeting expectations on Lionel Hollins. I could care less if Lionel stays or leaves but to now start blaming him for everything wrong with the franchise after he just won the most games in franchise history and the deepest run in playoff history? It makes no sense. If Lionel held all of those players backa nd theyw ere that good, why didn't we just get a new coach who could "develop" them? We would have won not 1, not 2 , not 3 but 5, 6, 7 8 championships...