Sign in to follow this  
gentlemanquartely

Question About Joerger

With all the vacancies in the league right now; why arent any teams contacting the grizzlies seeking permssion to interview him? clippers are talking to van gundy, byron scott, nate mcmillan, alvin gentry and are seeking permission for lionel and george karl. ive read about each team and their coaching searches. i havent seen joerger's name mentioned anywhere in anyone's reports. I'm just curious why no one else is at least seeking to at least talk to this "hot shot" assistant we got here who can pick up where we left off and win a title. help me out here.

With all the vacancies in the league right now; why arent any teams contacting the grizzlies seeking permssion to interview him? clippers are talking to van gundy, byron scott, nate mcmillan, alvin gentry and are seeking permission for lionel and george karl. ive read about each team and their coaching searches. i havent seen joerger's name mentioned anywhere in anyone's reports. I'm just curious why no one else is at least seeking to at least talk to this "hot shot" assistant we got here who can pick up where we left off and win a title. help me out here.

Like I said in a another thread he's not quite ready. I believe the players like him but he doesn't have the same kind of command over a this team like Lionel Hollins does.

I think you answered your own question. You list a bunch of experienced head coaches and then wonder why a team trying to win and take it to the next level is not trying to hire an unknown assistant coach with no head coaching experience?It happens every once in awhile(Scott Brooks) but I think most teams trying to win want an experienced coach with a proven track record.

Like I said in a another thread he's not quite ready. I believe the players like him but he doesn't have the same kind of command over a this team like Lionel Hollins does.
according to the folks who regularly post here this guy is as hot a commodity as a younger phil jackson. i like joerger personally. i think he has potential. but i think its very shallow to think we should let lionel walk and turn the reins over to him and then we win a title. smh!

I think you answered your own question. You list a bunch of experienced head coaches and then wonder why a team trying to win and take it to the next level is not trying to hire an unknown assistant coach with no head coaching experience?It happens every once in awhile(Scott Brooks) but I think most teams trying to win want an experienced coach with a proven track record.
"experienced coach with a proven track record?" have you been reading this board. while i agree with you, its not the concensus on this board. i'm appalled by what i read here.

according to the folks who regularly post here this guy is as hot a commodity as a younger phil jackson. i like joerger personally. i think he has potential. but i think its very shallow to think we should let lionel walk and turn the reins over to him and then we win a title. smh!

Nice straw man argument. No one said any of those things.

Joerger interviewed for head coaching positions last summer. Still a possibility he may get a few looks this year as well.

Kevin Arnovitz at ESPN recently wrote an article about this topic. Check it out: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/57826/whos-ready-to-be-an-nba-head-coach

Nice straw man argument. No one said any of those things. Joerger interviewed for head coaching positions last summer. Still a possibility he may get a few looks this year as well. Kevin Arnovitz at ESPN recently wrote an article about this topic. Check it out: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/57826/whos-ready-to-be-an-nba-head-coach
Actually, a lot of people on this board have dropped their panties over him over the course of the season. He is quite right.

The Grizzlies haven't given any teams permission to talk to the coaching staff until July 1st. They are under no obligation to allow teams to raid their staff and apparently they aren't going to help anyone do it either.

Actually, a lot of people on this board have dropped their panties over him over the course of the season. He is quite right.

Who said he's the next Phil Jackson? Who said he will lead us to a title next year??

Nice straw man argument. No one said any of those things. Joerger interviewed for head coaching positions last summer. Still a possibility he may get a few looks this year as well. Kevin Arnovitz at ESPN recently wrote an article about this topic. Check it out: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/57826/whos-ready-to-be-an-nba-head-coach
i dont have a problem with joerger. i have a problem if we dont re-sign lionel to a long term contract. he's proven and successful.

The Grizzlies haven't given any teams permission to talk to the coaching staff until July 1st. They are under no obligation to allow teams to raid their staff and apparently they aren't going to help anyone do it either.
i understand the july 1 date. however, i havent heard any rumors about anyone interested in talking to him. you?

i dont have a problem with joerger. i have a problem if we dont re-sign lionel to a long term contract. he's proven and successful.

Whether you like it or not, Lionel may not be here next year.

If the front office truly believed he was absolutely crucial to our success, they'd pay the guy. They're gonna take the time, like they have done all season, to see if he's worth a significant raise and to determine if he really is the guy who should coach this team for the next four years.

No, it wasn't. Quit the straw man arguments.
look bruh, i dont come on this site to create dissension or arguments. i like talking griz bball. i feel very, very strongly that our best chances of winning a title is to retain lionel hollins. im not worried about asst coaches. like i said earlier its easy to find another guy to carry a clipboard. the head coach is the captain of the ship. lionel can get us to the promised land.

Whether you like it or not, Lionel may not be here next year. If the front office truly believed he was absolutely crucial to our success, they'd pay the guy. They're gonna take the time, like they have done all season, to see if he's worth a significant raise and to determine if he really is the guy who should coach this team for the next four years.
sir, they already know that. have you been reading the comments from levien and pera? They want lionel back and so do the majority of memphis grizzlies fans.

Also makes sense to give it time to let the market for head coaches to dry up. You would have to think at least half of these vacancies will be filled by then. Fast-forward to July 1 -- less coaching demand, cost of keeping him (or promoting Joerger) goes down.

look bruh, i dont come on this site to create dissension or arguments. i like talking griz bball. i feel very, very strongly that our best chances of winning a title is to retain lionel hollins. im not worried about asst coaches. like i said earlier its easy to find another guy to carry a clipboard. the head coach is the captain of the ship. lionel can get us to the promised land.

Dude, all you have done is put words in other people's mouths, since you can't actually address what they're truly saying, and scream "PAY THE MAN" when you run out of things to say.

We get it. You like Lionel. Sadly, it's not an easy situation. If it was, Lionel would've been extended by now. Whenever members have discussed the nuancies of the situation, including the possibility of moving in a new direction, you've freaked out.

Whether you like it or not, Lionel may not be here next season. It's only fair to discuss who could replace him.

sir, they already know that. have you been reading the comments from levien and pera? They want lionel back and so do the majority of memphis grizzlies fans.

Levien was asked point blank if he wanted Lionel back by Geoff Calkins. He did not say yes. He essentially no commented the question. That was a day or two ago.

I havent heard anything by Pera. If you have, post a link to his comment.

Most fans want Lionel back. I agree. Too bad we're not in charge. A lot of fans didn't want Rudy traded. It still happened.

Levien was asked point blank if he wanted Lionel back by Geoff Calkins. He did not say yes. He essentially no commented the question. That was a day or two ago. I havent heard anything by Pera. If you have, post a link to his comment. Most fans want Lionel back. I agree. Too bad we're not in charge. A lot of fans didn't want Rudy traded. It still happened.
levien said we dont negotitate contracts publicly. but he has told lionel personally that he wants him back. levien also said they dont intend to let lionel hit the free market. does that sound like someone they are skeptical about hiring?

I think the FO is doing the right thing by pushing out the timeline. It basically comes down to are the Grizzlies a successful team because we have crazy talent and it really does not matter who the coach is (CLIPPERS)? Or do we have a coach that pulls the most out of its pretty good players (BULLS/SPURS)? I think it lies somewhere in between and the FO needs to figure that out.

levien said we dont negotitate contracts publicly. but he has told lionel personally that he wants him back. levien also said they dont intend to let lionel hit the free market. does that sound like someone they are skeptical about hiring?

Where are you getting this from? Post a link. I've followed this situation closely. Haven't heard anything like that.

The last update we've gotten was this: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/227898/Levien-Fails-To-Endorse-Retaining-Hollins

I think the FO is doing the right thing by pushing out the timeline. It basically comes down to are the Grizzlies a successful team because we have crazy talent and it really does not matter who the coach is (CLIPPERS)? Or do we have a coach that pulls the most out of its pretty good players (BULLS/SPURS)? I think it lies somewhere in between and the FO needs to figure that out.

I personally would like to thank the FO for giving us so many storylines to debate about ad nauseum on these boards. This will make the Summer break seem even shorter till I can get my next Grizz fix. so Bravo!!!