Sign in to follow this  
gentlemanquartely

Question About Joerger

But they dont necessarily agree it's their best chance of success. They've certainly disagreed with him throughout the season especially regarding trading Rudy. They've disagreed with him about Arthur or Davis. I'm sure theres other things as well. I don't think these disagreements are a make or break situation, but it may be foreshadowing that the next four years wont be the best working situation for all the parties involved. They are the ones who have to work with him. Not only for the team that we currently have, but the team we will have in two years, which will look different than this one. When you add money to the situation it only makes it more complicated.
or you're looking for a head coach who thinks for himself or a yes man who just tows the company line (atlanta hawks) f/o.

or you're looking for a head coach who thinks for himself or a yes man who just tows the company line (atlanta hawks) f/o.

I think disagreements are only natural. Lionel went public and torched the team though. That probably ****** them off more than anything. The last thing these guys want is to be called cheap, when our salary was comparable to OKC and the Spurs even after the trade.

I saw what happened this season perfectly fine. Westbrook got hurt, We beat the Clips and Thunder. We got swept by the Spurs. If not for the Westbrook injury, we may not have gone to the WCF. He's won games. Where did I deny that? He's not the only coach out there who can win games with this roster.

Why? The only loss to the Thunder this season was with an incomplete roster after the trade. I'm tired of people acting like we can't beat the Thunder when they have Westbrook. The truth is we have beaten them more times than they have beaten us since the beginning of the 2010-2011 season. We are 13-10 against them in that time and three of those losses were last season when we were devastated by injuries to Zach and DA. So I guess I could just as easily say that if it were not for Rudy's injury in 2011 we might have been champs.

Here's the thing; will Coach Hollins decide on a contract that is best for the Grizzlies or what is best for him? Throwing crazy money at Coach Hollins is not what is best for the Grizzlies, but it is what is best for Hollins. This whole thing can be sumed up in one question. Do the Clippers want him? If they do, they will out price the Grizzlies. It's as simple as that.

The Clippers? You do know that's Sterling's team right? He isn't known for shelling out big bucks.

Why? The only loss to the Thunder this season was with an incomplete roster after the trade. I'm tired of people acting like we can't beat the Thunder when they have Westbrook. The truth is we have beaten them more times than they have beaten us since the beginning of the 2010-2011 season. We are 13-10 against them in that time and three of those losses were last season when we were devastated by injuries to Zach and DA. So I guess I could just as easily say that if it were not for Rudy's injury in 2011 we might have been champs.

I'm not saying we couldn't have won. But, superstars generally raise their game in the playoffs and the Thunder have two of them. Other than Durant, who else could actually score for that team consistently in the playoffs? the defensive assignments would've been much more complicated as well. I like TA guarding Durant, but then you have Conley on Westbrook, which has been a problem in the past. Who guards Kevin Martin if all three are in the game? They're just a lot easier to stop when you can put all your focus on Durant, and he still was amazing.

But they dont necessarily agree it's their best chance of success. They've certainly disagreed with him throughout the season especially regarding trading Rudy. They've disagreed with him about Arthur or Davis. I'm sure theres other things as well. I don't think these disagreements are a make or break situation, but it may be foreshadowing that the next four years wont be the best working situation for all the parties involved. They are the ones who have to work with him. Not only for the team that we currently have, but the team we will have in two years, which will look different than this one. When you add money to the situation it only makes it more complicated.

Link please? I see things like this on these boards without any corroboration so if you have any...

I'm not saying we couldn't have won. But, superstars generally raise their game in the playoffs and the Thunder have two of them. Other than Durant, who else could actually score for that team consistently in the playoffs? the defensive assignments would've been much more complicated as well. I like TA guarding Durant, but then you have Conley on Westbrook, which has been a problem in the past. Who guards Kevin Martin if all three are in the game? They're just a lot easier to stop when you can put all your focus on Durant, and he still was amazing.

Okay, then you're saying that we don't have a superstar. Isn't that all the more reason to give more credit to Hollins for getting the team where it is now?

Link please? I see things like this on these boards without any corroboration so if you have any...

Herrington and Vernon discussed it on his show this week. I think Herrington was on Thursday. Look up the podcast. Herrington is one of the most astute writers on the grizzlies, so the entire segment was really good, even if you don't like Vernon.

Okay, then you're saying that we don't have a superstar. Isn't that all the more reason to give more credit to Hollins for getting the team where it is now?

Do you think we do? Our advantage is our bigs of course. How many teams have two all-stars bigs? We have a really strong defensive supporting cast with three guys on the all defensive team.

If you consider the all nba teams, then Gasol is a top 10 player in the league. So maybe we do have a superstar?

Do you think we do? Our advantage is our bigs of course. How many teams have two all-stars bigs? We have a really strong defensive supporting cast with three guys on the all defensive team. If you consider the all nba teams, then Gasol is a top 10 player in the league. So maybe we do have a superstar?

Superstar? IDK, it's a term that's used too loosely. If Marc is one, is Zach? ... or do we only have one? I think the Lakers have two All-Star bigs. Have Bogut and Lee made All-Star status? IDK. We have some very good players but I'm not sure if we have a superstar. I don't think that we're as deep as we need to be. I think one of the biggest reasons for our success has been Hollins for getting us as far as he has despite the lack of a real superstar. I think that is why we can go toe-to-toe with a healthy Thunder team and still have a very good chance of winning.

I don't know if Hollins' services will be retained but I think he is a major part of our success. If Hollins goes and Randolph is traded and an outsider is brought in to be the head coach I think there is a very real possibility that we could drop out of the playoff picture and become a lottery team. Maybe we could improve, but I wouldn't expect to in the first season with that much change. That's why I hope they give Joerger a chance, if Hollins goes, just to reduce the possibility of drastic change reducing the chance of team success.

The Clippers? You do know that's Sterling's team right? He isn't known for shelling out big bucks.
No kidding. And the Clippers aren't known for playing winning basketball. Things have changed a lot in the last couple of years for this team. After paying 12 million for the team in 1981, Sterling has finally figured out that putting a team on the court that can win games makes him money. Now his team is valued at 430 million, and if he wanted to sell it, he would probably get much more. The team has always made money for him, but now it's making even more. His days of asking hookers for basketball advice are probably over. Him shelling out 4 mil or more a year for Hollins would not be a big deal to him now, especially if that's who Chris Paul wants as his coach, which will be the real reason of who gets hired there.

Don't pull the "you should be fine with whatever happens to the coach as long as you're a true Grizz fan" crap. It's pretty lame.

Couldn't agree more. I've seen that argument a lot around here lately and it's so off base it's not even funny. Isn't part of being a fan being passionate? Nobody's saying they're done supporting this team if Lionel Hollins leaves. Doesn't mean they have to be happy about it.

I was not a big fan of the Rudy trade, but I haven't supported the team any less since, and I'm very much happy about the team's success without him.

bingo bruh. even when we took them 7 games in playoffs it was without rudy. our best outside shooter was oj. honestly, i felt we wouldve beaten okc w/westbrook.

oh boy. good point. no superstars but we make west finals. any run of the mill coach couldve done that according to these cats. wonder whats the agenda here?

Herrington and Vernon discussed it on his show this week. I think Herrington was on Thursday. Look up the podcast. Herrington is one of the most astute writers on the grizzlies, so the entire segment was really good, even if you don't like Vernon.
so we got all these reliable sources (vernon, herrington, and tillery). wonder which one is levien's confidant?

Couldn't agree more. I've seen that argument a lot around here lately and it's so off base it's not even funny. Isn't part of being a fan being passionate? Nobody's saying they're done supporting this team if Lionel Hollins leaves. Doesn't mean they have to be happy about it. I was not a big fan of the Rudy trade, but I haven't supported the team any less since, and I'm very much happy about the team's success without him.
ditto. preach the sermon bruh!

so we got all these reliable sources (vernon, herrington, and tillery). wonder which one is levien's confidant?

These guys interact with Griz brass all the time. There's been instances where all three of them have broken stories. For example, Vernon was the first one to report Arthur resigned with the Griz last year. Herrington reported the new ownership group break down last fall (along with lapides). Tillery has done the same countless times.

They're pretty reliable. If they weren't, people wouldn't pay them any attention, ya know?

according to the folks who regularly post here this guy is as hot a commodity as a younger phil jackson. i like joerger personally. i think he has potential. but i think its very shallow to think we should let lionel walk and turn the reins over to him and then we win a title. smh!

Agreed! I think it will be disgusting to let Hollins walk.

tillery is reliable. He is the beat writer and is privy to things other are not.

Vernon is simply trying to stimulate his radio show. He has his nose so far up TAllen's arse that it is pitiful. He wants Lionel to play TA 100 mins a game and when he doesn't, Vernon throws around all the stats that say that more TA mins is better.

Vernon also likes Ed Davis for some reason. I like Ed Davis but it is painfully apparent that Ed Davis isn't ready to play against top flight competition like Tim Duncan for the right to go to the Finals. But because Lionel plays DA (who is horrible this year) and not his beloved Ed Davis, Vernon has an agenda to embarrass Lionel and make him look foolish. So I don't consider him "reliable." He has agendas.

Herrington is reliable. He doesn't have the agendas that Vernon does and he is extremely knowledgeable about the Grizz and basketball. I think he enjoys the advanced metrics part of it so he likes the new front office and since they like Joerger, Im sure Herrington likes him as well. I like Joerger. He is a good young coach. We are fortunate to have him.

But I would say Tillery is the most reliable simply because he is allowed in practice when no other reporter is. He travels with the team (not on their plane but follows them on the road). Ron Ron has been doing this since his days in Seattle covering GKarl and the Sonics. He knows his way around the NBA and if he says it about the Grizzlies, you can just about bet its true

tillery is reliable. He is the beat writer and is privy to things other are not. Vernon is simply trying to stimulate his radio show. He has his nose so far up TAllen's arse that it is pitiful. He wants Lionel to play TA 100 mins a game and when he doesn't, Vernon throws around all the stats that say that more TA mins is better. Vernon also likes Ed Davis for some reason. I like Ed Davis but it is painfully apparent that Ed Davis isn't ready to play against top flight competition like Tim Duncan for the right to go to the Finals. But because Lionel plays DA (who is horrible this year) and not his beloved Ed Davis, Vernon has an agenda to embarrass Lionel and make him look foolish. So I don't consider him "reliable." He has agendas. Herrington is reliable. He doesn't have the agendas that Vernon does and he is extremely knowledgeable about the Grizz and basketball. I think he enjoys the advanced metrics part of it so he likes the new front office and since they like Joerger, Im sure Herrington likes him as well. I like Joerger. He is a good young coach. We are fortunate to have him. But I would say Tillery is the most reliable simply because he is allowed in practice when no other reporter is. He travels with the team (not on their plane but follows them on the road). Ron Ron has been doing this since his days in Seattle covering GKarl and the Sonics. He knows his way around the NBA and if he says it about the Grizzlies, you can just about bet its true

I would say Herington is probably the least biased but you better believe everyone of them is biased. Ron ron and Vernon are the most biased how i see it. Ron has been totally pro rudy and Hollins for years and you could see it in his writings. Vernon has been anti Rudy and only recently antihollins so the truth is somewhere in the middle. Ron basically admits he is friends with Lionel and rarely do you see him criticize anything Lionel does or says.

if the Grizz don't improve their offense for next season, it doesn't matter who the coach is. Assuming we make the playoffs, we will be lucky to get out of the first round of the playoffs. Our offense has been predicated on steals and the other team making turnovers. Can't just rely on that.

We also need more quality depth.

tillery is reliable. He is the beat writer and is privy to things other are not.

Vernon is simply trying to stimulate his radio show. He has his nose so far up TAllen's arse that it is pitiful. He wants Lionel to play TA 100 mins a game and when he doesn't, Vernon throws around all the stats that say that more TA mins is better.

Vernon also likes Ed Davis for some reason. I like Ed Davis but it is painfully apparent that Ed Davis isn't ready to play against top flight competition like Tim Duncan for the right to go to the Finals. But because Lionel plays DA (who is horrible this year) and not his beloved Ed Davis, Vernon has an agenda to embarrass Lionel and make him look foolish. So I don't consider him "reliable." He has agendas.

Herrington is reliable. He doesn't have the agendas that Vernon does and he is extremely knowledgeable about the Grizz and basketball. I think he enjoys the advanced metrics part of it so he likes the new front office and since they like Joerger, Im sure Herrington likes him as well. I like Joerger. He is a good young coach. We are fortunate to have him.

But I would say Tillery is the most reliable simply because he is allowed in practice when no other reporter is. He travels with the team (not on their plane but follows them on the road). Ron Ron has been doing this since his days in Seattle covering GKarl and the Sonics. He knows his way around the NBA and if he says it about the Grizzlies, you can just about bet its true

You have to be careful with Tillery. He's too close to Lionel. If you read the commercial appeal, you'll notice that Tillery has never said anything critical of Lionel, which either means Lionel is Phil Jackson or Tillery doesn't want to be critical. He's biased IMO.

The Tillery-Vernon fued is hilarious.

I would say Herington is probably the least biased but you better believe everyone of them is biased. Ron ron and Vernon are the most biased how i see it. Ron has been totally pro rudy and Hollins for years and you could see it in his writings. Vernon has been anti Rudy and only recently antihollins so the truth is somewhere in the middle. Ron basically admits he is friends with Lionel and rarely do you see him criticize anything Lionel does or says.

Vernon has been critical of Lionel for a long time. He was ****** at Lionel last year during the Clippers series for his rotations.

Vernon has been critical of Lionel for a long time. He was ****** at Lionel last year during the Clippers series for his rotations.

Last year during the Clipper series is when I actually started becoming critical of Lionel as well. I was fully in his corner before then but series showed his shortcomings as a Coach on the offensive side. Hollins loss that series by not developing a true backup PG solution and inability to draw up plays to halt a 25pt run. He put Zbo back in starting lineup disrupting chemistry then tried to lean on him like he was still his old self. Then he ran offense thru Rudy like Rudy was LeBron. Lots of bad decisions that led to our loss at the hands of Del Negro.