Sign in to follow this  
Memphicity

2013-2014 Head Coach?

While I'm not sure I agree about the D-League thing (few teams really demonstrate that they use it well), you do illustrate a sound point about the Hollins bit. Typical agency problem. "'Agency problems' are what economists call situations where a person’s interests diverge from his or her firm’s interests." While it is in the best interests of the franchise for young players to be developed, what does that really mean to a coach with no explicit future with the team? In Hollins's shoes I do the same thing, basically. Why do I care to develop Tony Wroten if I might be coaching against him next year.

that is possibly true but that is ignoring recent history outside of Mike Conley. The comment that Hollins doesn't put a premium on developing young talent wasn't based on this singular year. He never took the time to develop a solution for backup PG for example.

I would also think if i don't have a contract and my new bosses brought in new guys they liked that i would try my best to integrate them to show my new bosses i was the man for them. It is possible that showing ability to develop those guys would actually be more valuable to the new guys instead of just gambling on Wins Vs Losses. It was obvious when they traded Rudy they weren't singularly focused on just Ws. So to complain about the trade then not show real interest in integrating the new guys (Davis only got burn because of injuries to DA and Zbo) has to weigh into the evaluation of Lionel's fit with their philosophy. Tony Wroten was a 19yr old so understandable to be hesitant with him but no excuse not to play Davis and Leuer when Zbo and DA weren't all that effective.

I have a feeling now that Conley is a stud, he may get Wroten going.

Right or wrong he didn't want Lowry because he was a threat to Mike.

I don't think Vasquez had the speed he wanted.

That being said.......I liked those two.....the rest were garbage.

Brian Shaw is the perfect guy for this job. Plenty of experience coaching teams built around bigs with great defenses. And under the Phil Jackson tree as far as offense is concerned, no iso's but plenty of ball movement

You missed the perfect guy when Budenholzer agreed with Atlanta.

Funny but back in December some poster(s) were claiming Altanta had the perfect coach in Larry Drew.

That didn't last very long.

Funny but back in December some poster(s) were claiming Altanta had the perfect coach in Larry Drew.

That didn't last very long.

Me?

I liked the trades and signing of players more than the coach

They found a sucker doe Johnson and made the best trade they could have.

Gonna keep an eye on them this year for sure.

A Former NBA Coach Argues That Coaches Are Not Responsible for Outcomes I have been making this same argument for years. Something to consider when people say the Grizzlies should spend whatever is neccessary to keep Hollins.

And remember this if Chris Wallace leaves the Grizzlies as well.

yeah there is no difference between marc ivaroni and phil jackson. /sarcasm

Phil Jackson became a pretty good talent evaluator so unlike most HC he only accepts jobs were the talent is playoff contending already. Smart dude he realizes Coaching only gets you so far and the end of the day talent makes the difference.

Phil Jackson became a pretty good talent evaluator so unlike most HC he only accepts jobs were the talent is playoff contending already. Smart dude he realizes Coaching only gets you so far and the end of the day talent makes the difference.

okay so there is no difference between say Popovich and vinny del negro. got it

okay so there is no difference between say Popovich and vinny del negro. got it

Dude as much as everyone dogs Vinny Del Negro and how he can't Coach - He WON 56 games the most in franchise history and even coached them to a second rd last season. He Coached the Bulls into the playoffs as well AND took the champion Celtics to 7 games. Sounds like a pretty decent resume to me.

You do realize that VDN OUTcoached Hollins last year to advance. He and Hollins are 1 to1 all time in Playoff series. So how can you objectively say Hollins is definitely a better coach than VDN is? Clippers were a top 10 defensive and offensive team, surely the coach had something to do with that, right? VDN improved there record every year he was there.

I mean thats people's argument around here why doesn't it apply to Del Negro??

A Former NBA Coach Argues That Coaches Are Not Responsible for Outcomes I have been making this same argument for years. Something to consider when people say the Grizzlies should spend whatever is neccessary to keep Hollins.

And remember this if Chris Wallace leaves the Grizzlies as well.

Maybe I should coach.

If not Hollins ---- Avery Johnson, Larry Brown, if Doc Leaves Celtics Get Him, Van Gundy Brothers, Mike Brown, Byron Scott, **Jerry Sloan**, and Nate McMillian It has to be a coach that our players will respect. it cant be a 1st Time head coach if they do that that means the FO wants to loose. That's a big roll of the dice. NO disrespect to d jor.

If not Hollins ---- Avery Johnson, Larry Brown, if Doc Leaves Celtics Get Him, Van Gundy Brothers, Mike Brown, Byron Scott, **Jerry Sloan**, and Nate McMillian It has to be a coach that our players will respect. it cant be a 1st Time head coach if they do that that means the FO wants to loose. That's a big roll of the dice. NO disrespect to d jor.
not to forget vinney

Dude as much as everyone dogs Vinny Del Negro and how he can't Coach - He WON 56 games the most in franchise history and even coached them to a second rd last season. He Coached the Bulls into the playoffs as well AND took the champion Celtics to 7 games. Sounds like a pretty decent resume to me.

You do realize that VDN OUTcoached Hollins last year to advance. He and Hollins are 1 to1 all time in Playoff series. So how can you objectively say Hollins is definitely a better coach than VDN is? Clippers were a top 10 defensive and offensive team, surely the coach had something to do with that, right? VDN improved there record every year he was there.

I mean thats people's argument around here why doesn't it apply to Del Negro??

The perfect argument for why Lionel shouldn't be brought back. He got out coached by VDN. If our coach can't out coach VDN why the heck should he get 5 mil a year?!

The perfect argument for why Lionel shouldn't be brought back. He got out coached by VDN. If our coach can't out coach VDN why the heck should he get 5 mil a year?!

From what I understand, this isn't about money (although it could be later I suppose). This is about control and tradition. Hollins expects the new owner and new front office to operate in the same way and with the same autonomy as Heisley and Wallace gave him.

That isn't going to happen. Levien and Pera paid $350 million to buy the Grizzlies. They aren't going to allow the Head Coach to ban them from practices, to ignore their desire in how to operate the team and put up with public insults from their coach. Sorry but they are the new boss and they ain't like the old boss. Hollins is an employee and he needs to recognize this relationship.

Can anyone here insult their boss in the media, ignore the way he wants the job done and deny him access to your work area and keep their job?

Times are Changing

From what I understand, this isn't about money (although it could be later I suppose). This is about control and tradition. Hollins expects the new owner and new front office to operate in the same way and with the same autonomy as Heisley and Wallace gave him. That isn't going to happen. Levien and Pera paid $350 million to buy the Grizzlies. They aren't going to allow the Head Coach to ban them from practices, to ignore their desire in how to operate the team and put up with public insults from their coach. Sorry but they are the new boss and they ain't like the old boss. Hollins is an employee and he needs to recognize this relationship. Can anyone here insult their boss in the media, ignore the way he wants the job done and deny him access to your work area and keep their job? Times are Changing

That in a nutshell has been my problem with Hollins. I really wonder if he suffers from some mildcase of Bi-polar-ism. He does not seem to adjust his approach very well to different situations. Meaning you cannot talk to your Preacher the same way you talk to your bartender but i Think hollins would!?! His brash style was PERFECT with Heisley who had the exact same traits - basically good hearted guys that can offend easily with their mouth. He still treats his players, coaches, media, and employers the same and gets shocked when they have a hard time tolerating it. Too stubborn and Old School for his own good.