Sign in to follow this  
MemphisX

Rant From A Former Memphis Miserable

I'm on my 3rd name now..the 3YP drove me crazy and I debated Chip that it was foolish to tell your fans to wait 3 years...I even changed my name to LottoLuvnGrizz in protest for their plan that seemed to be build through the lottery. Fast forward and I'm thankful that the 3-4YP has worked out. It's been a long ride and I'm glad to see the finish line coming with us ahead of the pack

Herodotus    0

Well, what we've always longed for is that this team would be embraced by the city. And it's happening. It's sinking in deep, and so-called "bandwagon" fans from 2011 are more Memphis fans now than anything, who have come to see and understand that this Grizzlies team is more than just a basketball team, it's building community. Being a Grizz fan now is about being a part of a community and believing in a city. In truth, it's more beautiful than I could have possibly imagined.

(what was so great about that was Pop was one of the coaches that jumped out there to publicly question that trade and it was BECAUSE of that trade that #8 sent #1 home in the first round in 2011...) I don't think he was complaining because he was concerned about the Grizzlies getting the short end of the stick, he was complaining because the Lakers got Pau and it just so happened the Lakers went to the NBA finals the next 3 years and the Spurs were sitting at home.

UofMark    0
Well, what we've always longed for is that this team would be embraced by the city. And it's happening. It's sinking in deep, and so-called "bandwagon" fans from 2011 are more Memphis fans now than anything, who have come to see and understand that this Grizzlies team is more than just a basketball team, it's building community. Being a Grizz fan now is about being a part of a community and believing in a city. In truth, it's more beautiful than I could have possibly imagined.

Great point. The last few years, the Grizz roots have gone way in to the areas soul. I remember just a few years ago dreaming of what it would be like if this area really invested in the Griz. Now I see it. The crowds are decked out in gear and righteously cheering 'our' team. That's a big difference from the early years, even the early FedExForum years when we were simply going to an NBA game. Those of us, like myself, that have been going to games and watching on tv since 2001, have sat through and seen a lot of bad basketball. We've paid the price, now we can enjoy.

mschnbch    0
ahh been gone awhile well not gone just havent posted i am pretty sure there isnt anybody on here that was on before me , i was actually posting before the first preseason game, my son was in first grade well he graduated high school last saturday, yikes, i can actually say when i walked in the first preseason game at the pyramid i was met my big country bryant reeves and shook hands , now who can say they did that. he even played that game. so it has been a long trip from sidney lowe to jerry west to whoever to whoever but although i miss the old guys you have to admit what you see now was what you had wanted from the first day in memphis , enjoy every minute because nothing last . al boy what about all the old posters ? lyin mikey heisley? remember him?

I was 12 years old at football practice and my dad came and got me early for the first preseason game.. My coach got ****** but its odd to think about how long ago that was!

Neo-Realist    0

And the fan base is young and energetic. Which is a good sign for the future

There are a ton of new grizzlies fans on the board and very few of us that was passionately talking about the grizzlies as early as the Pau years.

I respect my brothers in arms, many of whom, I've debated endlessly over the years.

Who knew Kevin Love could play in the NBA?

:D

notnilc20    0

I got Grizz fever the year we got 50 wins with Hubie Brown. Then got swept in the playoffs and again and again and we were known as the team with a donut for wins in the playoffs. The good ol pyramid days.

This is certainly a great time to be a Grizzlies fan. I mean did you ever think we'd be mentioned in the same sentence as the conference finals? We are still in the semi's and we still have to take care of business but i feel good about our guys.

The best part about winning and this season is that all of us have stopped worrying about losing this team to another city. Feel like more people would've bought in sooner if they felt like the team was truly ours and not a rental.

Exciting time to be a Griz fan.

Since you guys are giving your general thoughts, and I find it interesting to read, I'll give you some of mine now that the Grizzlies are in the WCF. I had this convo with GrindHouse a little while ago. I admire that brother the way he stands up when the reactionaries start hyper-ventilating.

I've always been attracted to the city of Memphis because of its music, people and social history. I've visited a number of times. I grew up following and cheering MJ when he started all the way through to the last championship win. I began following the Grizzlies from around the time of Hubie, primarily in support of the city. I got into the Grizzlies more from 2010. Understand when you are from Australia, you never get to see the Grizzlies on TV, or talk with anyone who follows them. I really got to admire the team because of their blue-collar (I don't mean this in a bad way or playing the class-warfare card), hard-nosed style in the face of flashier play and more marketable big-city teams.

I took my wife to visit Memphis and MS last year and we caught a game at FEF vs Wolves (=win). When we got back home we kept following as much as the TV schedule here allowed us to (finally they showed a couple of the Grizz's games). I was shattered after game 1 last playoffs. After the end of the season, I decided to really make an effort to follow this season (using the internet), including waking at 5am to watch games, taking sickies from work for games, giving up on housework on weekends to watch (my wife wasn't too happy about this). I was also interested in what you guys had to say about the team and strategies and plays etc. Even risked the wrath of the Moderator for cursing the Reactionaries during the hard losses.

Right now I feel so happy for the team, for you guys, for the city that we are WCF-bound. In Feb, I thought to win 1ST round was a very good achievement after a record season, a 2nd round win fantastic. Of course I'll be shattered if we don't become WC Champs (I feel we will win, and are the best placed team to beat Miami) but I'll still be happy that's its been a great year.

Thank you Grizzlies for such fantastic play and congratulations on your successes this year and best wishes for the WCF (and hopefully the Championship series).

And thank you Grizz members for sharing your thoughts and insights.

Go Grizzlies!!!!!

Grinder 901    0

Dam what a great post! I am always so impressed with fans like yourself who follow a team in such a far off location.

Couple of guys on here that I have grown to look forward to their posts and you are one of them. Scooter and Evergrizz being the other two. I have some additional seats for this round and hopefully the Finals. If you three need tickets, hit me up. If I still have them, I will hook y'all up.

Love this city and the support its fans and fans across the world are finally giving to this team

kabluey    0

I used to post much more on several boards, but it was so time consuming. Love this group of guys beyond their oncourt effort and improvement. They are a great group. Local celebrity involvement. Owner who has turned around his company and now is creating memes on twitter. Wallace is soooo involved and interested in the city, so supportive. Hollins and joerger have implemented an identity. Marc is the closest thing we have left as a local guy, but many of them have been involved in the city, taken on the identity, the hope, the struggles of the comunity, as well as the overlooked potential. The evolution of Marc and Mike. The tenacity of TA. The 180 change of ZBO.

Its reflective of the city's emergence that I've observed. A blogger mentioned eloquently the change of attitude overall away from defeatism. This is reflected in the creation and emergence of neighborhooods that people are proud of like CY, Overton Square, Broad, Crosstown. The bike lanes and playgrounds on Shelby Farms which improve our quality of life. The actual collaboration between city and county that suggests true mutual cooperation and respect, and has landed several manufacturers and successes. Emergence of entrpreneurs and startups replete with a culture of innovation around it. Thatg is what this city needs more of. Blacks loving the authentic toughness and journey of Marc. Whites embracing the good hearts and entertaining personalities of TA and ZBo. Bringing this city I love together. Providing an example of potential and possibility. For all of us who might have been surrounded with defeatist surroundings.

Memphis is rising.

chipc3    0
give me a break. sunshine patrol? more like company man. the only reason you don't say a bad word about the grizzlies is that you want to have access to the coaching staff and chris wallace for your blog. Rewarded? for what

Kevin - You need to get over yourself. You should know that I have been a Sunshine Patrol Member since the beginning of my posting here which was long before the blog was started.

You also were allowed to write for the blog (from an invitation by me) even when I disagreed with what you said. The idea that I sugar coat the blog for access is ridiculous. The blog gets access because the team respects what the blog is doing. It's not about me.

Which is probably a good thing because I am the worst writer over there!

Wells    0
Kevin - You need to get over yourself. You should know that I have been a Sunshine Patrol Member since the beginning of my posting here which was long before the blog was started. You also were allowed to write for the blog (from an invitation by me) even when I disagreed with what you said. The idea that I sugar coat the blog for access is ridiculous. The blog gets access because the team respects what the blog is doing. It's not about me. Which is probably a good thing because I am the worst writer over there!

I have to agree. The two posts I have written for 3SOB were because Kevin recommend to Chip that I should write them since I was a statistics geek. I would write more, but usually by the time I have an idea for a post, somebody else has beaten me to it. Lee, Red and Chip just churn stuff out.

chipc3    0

So you agree that I am the worst writer over there? ;)

chipc3    0
Just not the same without all the J-Will fanboys. Also, the 3 year plan. Good times.

I kind of miss LionCub too. A true believer in the untapped potential of Stromile Swift.

N I    0
I kind of miss LionCub too. A true believer in the untapped potential of Stromile Swift.
We could have had the next Scottie Pippen, and we let him go.

Then got him back, kick him out again and who knows where he is now.

Wells    0
So you agree that I am the worst writer over there? ;)/>

Nah, just the most prolific. Everybody lays an egg on occasion. The more you write, the more opportunities you get to cluck.

Grinder 901    0

i'll never forget when "tinsely time" changed her name to "gasol the great."

GTG is a chick? Oh you have to be kidding me

tennbengal    0

I read more than post. Living in Baltimore now, it has been fun to hear the talk about this team bubble up at work and in the gym and what not. Have league pass, so saw most games this year, and listen to the memphis sports talk shows online to keep up along with following these threads. Lived in Memphis from 1998 - 2009, was at the first ever regular season game, most playoff games from the Pau era, and the descent into hades thereafter. Sorry to not be able to go to games in the Forum with this team ascendant, but a thrilled fan in Maryland am I.

Edited by tennbengal

rc0213    0

Keep faith in this team, and don't let any nay sayers discourage you from rooting for the Grizzlies to win it all. But, remember, "Take this ONE game at a time." This team is very special, they REALLY care about each other, and are a team, not just a bunch of paid players trying to pretend to be a team. This whole team support each other and try to help each other to become better. I pray that Coach Hollins sticks around and the core sticks around for a long time. The only thing I have against Coach Hollins is not giving every player some game time through the regular season so that they can be more effective in the playoffs.