Sign in to follow this  
SixthMan

Grizzlies @ Thunder - 5/7/2013

To be fair to Hollins, it wasn't Durant that killed us in game 1, it was the stupid turnover from Gasol's bad pass, and it was the missed free throws. This game, Hollins put TA on Durant when we needed it most, and we won.

TA is obviously amazing on Durant, but he was pretty good on everyone else too.

I AGREE WITH YOU. TA can't handle Durant for 4 quarters. Prince and Qpon defend first 3 quarters straight up. TA to close the game. My point, everyone else's point: WHY DIDN'T HOLLINS DO THAT IN GAME 1????

I mean, Hollins should have learned that lesson against CP3 in the Clippers series. Let someone else defend CP3 until 4th quarter and then let TA grit and grind it out in the 4th. But he doesn't...makes the same freaking mistake as he did in game 1 vs Okc as game 1 vs Clippers.

Like I said RIGHT AFTER GAME 1, Grizz have such a matchup advantage against Okc, that margin of error won't matter in this series. If we make it past Okc, Hollins has to be more intelligent coach or we won't have a chance.

To be fair to Hollins, it wasn't Durant that killed us in game 1, it was the stupid turnover from Gasol's bad pass, and it was the missed free throws. This game, Hollins put TA on Durant when we needed it most, and we won. TA is obviously amazing on Durant, but he was pretty good on everyone else too.

We played better in crunch time this game, and crap in game 1. But it wouldn't have mattered if TA had played more than 2m in the 4th quarter in game 1. We would have won that game without worrying about crunch time execution - we lost a 7 or 9 point lead in the last 5 minutes

Edited by Neo-Realist

We played better in crunch time this game, and crap in game 1. But it wouldn't have mattered if TA had played more than 2m in the 4th quarter. We would have won that game without worrying about crunch time execution.

Exactly!

I can't wait to listen to Ron Tillery and the Sports56 crew deny Tony's affect on the game. Here is the thing Tony was terrible for like 1qtr and a half but was able to get into a groove when it mattered the most. Lots of players are that way just need to get into rhythm to be effective. Nothing unusual about that.

Exactly!

I can't wait to listen to Ron Tillery and the Sports56 crew deny Tony's affect on the game. Here is the thing Tony was terrible for like 1qtr and a half but was able to get into a groove when it mattered the most. Lots of players are that way just need to get into rhythm to be effective. Nothing unusual about that.

929espn is much, much better if you're a grizz fan.

:lol:/> Take your time...
Sorry I was reading a seperate thread calling for Hollins head....sound familiar?

How about it being game 1 with literally no downtime? Play what you know will work until you actually have time to adjust? Food for thought maybe?

You guys look way to closely at Hollins. A LOT of people here do. You nit pick him like ever other player on the roster. But you know who has more wins than any player on this team? Hollins.

He may be stubborn to the point that a brick wall actually has to fight back for him to listen, but he wins. No matter how you look at it.

Regardless of whether he "created" the defense he still is the one who brought in Joerger. Probably so he did not have to worry about it. You cant tell me his offense is not beautiful. He has done a very good job catering to the teams makeup. Its simple and effective

Yes he adjusts slower than others. He might even revert back to the same strategy after this game. But if you look back at the Clippers series he did a fabulous job adjusting and when he found out what worked he stuck with it. I expect the same here.

As far as developing players, this is not San Antonio folks so get over it. They will have their chance.

What is this guys record minus the interim coach position? Without a star? We take OKC to seven games he had better be back next season.

I mean, Hollins should have learned that lesson against CP3 in the Clippers series. Let someone else defend CP3 until 4th quarter and then let TA grit and grind it out in the 4th. But he doesn't...makes the same freaking mistake as he did in game 1 vs Okc as game 1 vs Clippers. Like I said RIGHT AFTER GAME 1, Grizz have such a matchup advantage against Okc, that margin of error won't matter in this series. If we make it past Okc, Hollins has to be more intelligent coach or we won't have a chance.
Different team. I think Hollins goes to square one with every team. The thing is we get to SA and we wont have to worry about this.

Sorry I was reading a seperate thread calling for Hollins head....sound familiar? How about it being game 1 with literally no downtime? Play what you know will work until you actually have time to adjust? Food for thought maybe? You guys look way to closely at Hollins. A LOT of people here do. You nit pick him like ever other player on the roster. But you know who has more wins than any player on this team? Hollins. He may be stubborn to the point that a brick wall actually has to fight back for him to listen, but he wins. No matter how you look at it. Regardless of whether he "created" the defense he still is the one who brought in Joerger. Probably so he did not have to worry about it. You cant tell me his offense is not beautiful. He has done a very good job catering to the teams makeup. Its simple and effective Yes he adjusts slower than others. He might even revert back to the same strategy after this game. But if you look back at the Clippers series he did a fabulous job adjusting and when he found out what worked he stuck with it. I expect the same here. As far as developing players, this is not San Antonio folks so get over it. They will have their chance. What is this guys record minus the interim coach position? Without a star? We take OKC to seven games he had better be back next season.

Oh I agree with all of what you said - the defensive system he and Joerger put in place is like 80-90% of the battle. I'm not calling for Hollins' head. It's clear to me that he wants get Qpon and Prince going (and Daye for whatever reason). And he is willing to experiment with lineups to do that.

It's just really frustrating. I understand it. But it's still frustrating.

The thing that I noticed is that by defending KD by committee tonight, they wore him out. When he fell at the end, he didn't step on anybody or get tripped, he just was so tired that he couldn't stand up. That goes big for the coaching staff. Also the off/def trade between JBay & TA for almost 5 min. kept us fresh. That also goes good on the staff.

Another thing people are missing in this TA on Durant game 1 argument was how off a game TA was having defensively, surprisingly enough. The TA that showed up game 1 I hardly recognized, and that guy wasn't about to be effective on Durant either imo. Of course the real TA was in full effect tonight and he played a great game.

The play of the game was when Tony Allen pulled off the chair to Durant... I jumped out of my chair by the way... ;-)

Cheers!

Oh I agree with all of what you said - the defensive system he and Joerger put in place is like 80-90% of the battle. I'm not calling for Hollins' head. It's clear to me that he wants get Qpon and Prince going (and Daye for whatever reason). And he is willing to experiment with lineups to do that. It's just really frustrating. I understand it. But it's still frustrating.

Joerger was originally hired by Ivaroni.

What he said ^

My man Ryan tells it like it is. Win or lose he's always optimistic. Positive thinking is the way to go. You are how you think.

Haha, Ron, EverGrizz (what is your real name bud?) love you guys.

Proud we persevered and got this win. We are going to rock the house Saturday night.

Well, I was posting last night in the first half and was so frustrated with Mike C. I couldn't believe that he was going to have one of "those" (bad) nights last night. It sure looked like he was. I had to get off the board and stop posting.

But in the 2nd half, Mike really asserted himself and stepped up. I am ecstatic to give credit where it is due and that is with MC11. He was awesome. I am so happy for him and for the team.

I thought I might put my hand through the door several times when the Grizz just kept missing FT after FT after FT. I got a feeling that is going to cost us again if we don't shore it up, but at least last night, the Grizz came through.

Congrats to the team. Congrats to Mike C. I was certainly wrong about what kind of night I thought you were going to have. I am so glad I was wrong.

Now, if we could just figure out what in Hades is wrong with Tay Tay. LOL

Just wanted to stop in and say good job Grizz. MC11 went into beast mode last night and it was wonderful to watch.

BTW this is my first post, I have been lurking for several years. I just never decided to make an account. Glad to be apart of this online group of Grizz fans finally.

Just wanted to stop in and say good job Grizz. MC11 went into beast mode last night and it was wonderful to watch. BTW this is my first post, I have been lurking for several years. I just never decided to make an account. Glad to be apart of this online group of Grizz fans finally.

WELCOME ABOARD !

started from the bottom ... NOW we are HERE!!!!

Just wanted to stop in and say good job Grizz. MC11 went into beast mode last night and it was wonderful to watch. BTW this is my first post, I have been lurking for several years. I just never decided to make an account. Glad to be apart of this online group of Grizz fans finally.

Welcome to the Boards my friend! Look forward to reading more from you in the very near future.

WELCOME ABOARD ! started from the bottom ... NOW we are HERE!!!!

Man we really need to adopt that song if we make it to the Finals. Great reference.

BTW did you know Drakes'dad is a native Memphian!

The play of the game was when Tony Allen pulled off the chair to Durant... I jumped out of my chair by the way... ;-) Cheers!

I just posted this in another thread, but it also deserves to be in this thread (if it isn't already in an earlier post, if so, I apologize).

I see that y'all have been talking about the difference between Tony on KD and Tayshaun on KD and the big difference I see is that TP will let KD get the ball and then just try to play straight up D on him, but Tony just simply will not allow KD to get the ball and if he does he doesn't seem to be comfortable. Tony knows how to shut ppl down for a reason, he puts himself in perfect position to play good defense on anyone he guards. We had Tony on KD halfway through the 4th and took him off of him with like 4 min left and put Q back on him and KD reeled off like 6 or 8 straight points and then we put Tony back on him and he never scored again or even got a good shot off.. I was screaming at the tv last night saying if Tony doesn't guard KD from here on out we lose, I'm not too convinced I was wrong.. Tony needs to be on whoever is hot in the game, whether its KD or Martin.. PERIOD...

Also, I remember saying with like 7 min left in the game that it all falls on Mike and Marc's shoulders and that they would be the ones who had to go out and win it for us.. HUGE props for MC11 for answering my call! Incredible 4th quarter Mike I love you!!!