Sign in to follow this  
BeBoutBidness

If The Lakers Amnesty Pau?

I know the Lakers are gonna make move to not pay luxury taxes If they were to anmesty Pau do you think he would like to play with his brother and accept a role with the Grizzlies off the bench?

No way he does that because there will be teams longing to have his skill set. Look for him to maybe end up with Houston.

If he was cool with that it would be amazing. But I think he thinks he can still be a viable starting PF, which he might still be.

We're over the cap. The only way for us to pick an amnestied player is if none of the teams under the cap bids for him and he becomes a free agent, and you bet some team like Houston, Phoenix or Cleveland would try to grab him.

We're over the cap. The only way for us to pick a player off waivers is if none of the teams under the cap bids for him and he becomes a free agent, and you bet some team like Houston, Phoenix or Cleveland would try to grab him.

Yeah there's no way he gets past the Rockets in that scenario. They wanted him since before the Chris Paul trade.

I know the Lakers are gonna make move to not pay luxury taxes If they were to anmesty Pau do you think he would like to play with his brother and accept a role with the Grizzlies off the bench?

interesting scenario? not really sure if i would be against that. I would also be in favor of picking up Danny Granger if Indy was to do something similar with him.

Despite his iffy past with memphis, I'd like to see him on the roster as I think he would push Marc to that next level. I don't see it happening though. I can't see a scenario that gets him on our roster without getting rid of zbo, and I don't see the FO getting rid of a beloved aged PF for another aged PF.

We're over the cap. The only way for us to pick an amnestied player is if none of the teams under the cap bids for him and he becomes a free agent, and you bet some team like Houston, Phoenix or Cleveland would try to grab him.

I thought the Rudy trade put us under the cap.

Interesting question but the real question is if Miami uses their amnesty on LeBron...

Interesting question but the real question is if Miami uses their amnesty on LeBron...

Why would Miami use their amnesty on LeBron....that doesen't make any sense

Oh so now we are expected to believe Ken Berger has the answers? Come on guys. You can do the same logic with Miami that doesn't have as lucrative a local TV contract as the Lakers. I am being sarcastic about Miami using the Amnesty on LeBron but to assume the Lakers have to worry about penalties for building a championship team is ludicrous. I sincerely doubt the Lakers will amnesty Kobe, Pau and I expect them to sign Howard. They will pull the tax out of the petty cash they receive from things such as ticket sales and concessions.

Oh so now we are expected to believe Ken Berger has the answers? Come on guys. You can do the same logic with Miami that doesn't have as lucrative a local TV contract as the Lakers. I am being sarcastic about Miami using the Amnesty on LeBron but to assume the Lakers have to worry about penalties for building a championship team is ludicrous. I sincerely doubt the Lakers will amnesty Kobe, Pau and I expect them to sign Howard. They will pull the tax out of the petty cash they receive from things such as ticket sales and concessions.

repoter to Mike D'Antoni "Why didn't Pau play the end of the game"?....Mike D'Antoni..."uh"..."Because I want to win". I don't think Pau's situation with the Lakers is the same as any one on the Heat. I believe the Lakers would have moved him before the trade deadline if he wasn't injured. If D'Antoni is still the coach I think the probability of Pau moving is high...even if he is Amnestied

I could definitely see the Lakers move Pau but I would be shocked if the Lakers amnesty him. I was being sarcastic about LeBron.

I could definitely see the Lakers move Pau but I would be shocked if the Lakers amnesty him.

The Lakers are so far above the cap that they can't even see the cap. The only way for them to add useful pieces to their team is to use Pau (or his expiring salary next year) as trade bait. In any event they won't make a move until Howard decides to re-sign or not.

The Lakers are so far above the cap that they can't even see the cap. The only way for them to add useful pieces to their team is to use Pau (or his expiring salary next year) as trade bait. In any event they won't make a move until Howard decides to re-sign or not.

This. And add into the mix that the Buss kids are now playing with THEIR money and not Daddys. I would be surprised if they don't make some drastic moves this summer.

This. And add into the mix that the Buss kids are now playing with THEIR money and not Daddys. I would be surprised if they don't make some drastic moves this summer.

Like replacing the GM who hired and fired Mike Brown and then hired D'Antoni, who traded for Howard and now is being held over the fire to keep him and who made the team one of the oldest in the league by jettisoning so many young players?

Like replacing the GM who hired and fired Mike Brown and then hired D'Antoni, who traded for Howard and now is being held over the fire to keep him and who made the team one of the oldest in the league by jettisoning so many young players?

Actually I was just pointing out that the expenses of the Lakers are now cutting into their personal bottom lines. There are six children of Dr Buss that now all have an equal share in the ownership that was once just Dr Buss's. I believe it accounted for about 75% of total ownership of the Lakers. Only 2 of his children were actively involved with running the team so I would imagine that the other 4 might be more concerned about keeping their money and not giving it to the NBA in the form of a tax for being over the threshold. Their ownership percentage is now in the form of a trust and all 6 have an equal share, although the shares can not be sold off. It could make for some drama. Imagine that, drama and the Lakers! :lol:

I thought the Rudy trade put us under the cap.

Trades put us under the lux tax threshold, but still over the salary cap.

The teams under the salary cap get to bid first on amnestied players. Highest bid gets to claim the player. Original team still pays the players salary - (minus) whatever the bid amount.

At least that is how I remember it, and that could be wrong.

Trades put us under the lux tax threshold, but still over the salary cap. The teams under the salary cap get to bid first on amnestied players. Highest bid gets to claim the player. Original team still pays the players salary - (minus) whatever the bid amount. At least that is how I remember it, and that could be wrong.

That's correct. And if no under-the-cap team bids, the amnestied player becomes a UFA and can be hired by any team for the vet min and the rest of his salary is still being paid by the amnestor... amnesting... amnesiac... the team that amnestied him.