Sign in to follow this  
Greater Memphis Grind

Rudy Taking A Shot At Our Guys?

I just checked Rudy's twitter and apparently he has removed the comment. Maybe he wasn't trying to stor up trouble and someone told him people may take it out of context so he removed it?

Lol. Why are you so bitter?? Im pretty sure Rudy is part of the reason Memphis has the record it has now, you should thank him for that alone. Since arriving in Toronto, they have a winning record, against playoff teams, cant ask him to do better than on a bad team. All you need to be worrried about is Memphis, not what some guy from a 20-32 team is saying....

I thank Rudy for the time he gave us in Memphis and I acknowledge some of our success was because of Rudy's contributions to our team. If I sound bitter, so be it. And as evergrizz pointed out you don't need to tell me what I need to be worried about. I'm glad Toronto beat Denver. Any thing that helps our Grizz makes me happy.

But imo, Toronto beating Denver had more to do with Gallarini (Denver"s best scorer) not being able to play due to a sinus infection, and Iguodola (Denver's third- leading scorer) being unable to play because of a strained neck than the presence of Rudy Gay... Coach Karl knew he had another game tonight against a team with a 30 and 10 record (Brooklyn).

Karl took a chance that a nights rest for his two stars would give him a better chance of winning against the Nets. He took a chance on playing against Toronto (who before they played Denver had a 19 and 32 record. He used caution, rolled the dice and lost BY ONLY 1 POINT. But if he had played Gallarini and Iggy against Toronto when they were hurting he probably surmised they could aggravate their conditions to the point that they would be in worse condition when they played the Nets.

P.S... Denver also played without forward Wilson Chandler, and Javell McGee didn't play the 2nd half due to a sore knee. So Denver was definitely shorthanded.

But, congrats to Gay for making the winning shot with 5 seconds left. He has made his share of game winning shots.

Edited by scooter

Why am I one of like four people that's not bitter against Rudy Gay? He's happier and more comfortable in his new surroundings. I'm happy for him.

Likewise, our team is in a better place going forward. I wish him the best, and I wish the Grizz even better.

So, since you would like to discredit that win, how do you explain Rudy taking over against a team that we went 0-2 against in Indiana? And how would you explain Toronto blowing out a Clippers team without Chris Paul when we got blown out by that team?

Also, how would you explain them beating a good New Orleans team that we lost to? How do you explain our 4-3 record after the trade with losses coming from the Suns and Hawks and barely beating teams like Washington and Sacramento? I don't see you discrediting our team for beating a tore up Twolves team that was missing their star PF.

Look, I'm all about being completely honest and fair. If our team just went through the same stretch Toronto went through (LAC, MIA, BOS, IND, NOH, DEN) and ended up 4-2, people would be so happy that we were beating good teams. But, since Rudy is on another team and they are doing well, they want to discredit what he's accomplishing over there. They have won 3 straight just like we have and their 3 games are very impressive because the competition was simply better. That Denver team is one of the deepest teams in the league that don't rely on one guy to carry them. The fact that they still beat them with the way they've been playing as of late is impressive.

Keep it real.

Why am I one of like four people that's not bitter against Rudy Gay? He's happier and more comfortable in his new surroundings. I'm happy for him. Likewise, our team is in a better place going forward. I wish him the best, and I wish the Grizz even better.

Count me in the happy for him camp and happy for the Grizz camp. Or am i one of the Core four already lol. He is in the eastern conference so i have no problem wishing him much success. IMHO Gasol should have always been the alpha dog and maybe Zbo is more comfortable passing the torch to him than he was to Rudy.

So, since you would like to discredit that win, how do you explain Rudy taking over against a team that we went 0-2 against in Indiana? And how would you explain Toronto blowing out a Clippers team without Chris Paul when we got blown out by that team? Also, how would you explain them beating a good New Orleans team that we lost to? How do you explain our 4-3 record after the trade with losses coming from the Suns and Hawks and barely beating teams like Washington and Sacramento? I don't see you discrediting our team for beating a tore up Twolves team that was missing their star PF. Look, I'm all about being completely honest and fair. If our team just went through the same stretch Toronto went through (LAC, MIA, BOS, IND, NOH, DEN) and ended up 4-2, people would be so happy that we were beating good teams. But, since Rudy is on another team and they are doing well, they want to discredit what he's accomplishing over there. They have won 3 straight just like we have and their 3 games are very impressive because the competition was simply better. That Denver team is one of the deepest teams in the league that don't rely on one guy to carry them. The fact that they still beat them with the way they've been playing as of late is impressive. Keep it real.

Not trying to jump into yalls little cat fight (but I am anyways). I know you won't admit this because it doesn't help your argument, but we played the Clippers in one of their first games without CP3. Teams tend to rally around that at first. Since that point the Clippers were abysmal without him. Denver didn't have Igoudala or Gallinari or Chandler (only mention him because we are talking about depth). New Orleans was rolling (for their standards) when they came and played us. Since then, they have a losing record and one of their two wins came against the suns who have the worst record in the West.

All I am saying is good for the Raptors and good for us. We are better without him, they are better with him. He never had the confidence he needed here, he knows he's the franchise in Toronto. They won't ever do anything special with him. But they will be exciting to watch. We improved our team in almost every way (financial, depth, and flexibility). We got worse at one position and payed a guy a criminal amount of money who didn't deserve it. Not his fault, we were the ones that offered him that contract, I would accept it too. But he never lived up to what he could have been.

Not trying to jump into yalls little cat fight (but I am anyways). I know you won't admit this because it doesn't help your argument, but we played the Clippers in one of their first games without CP3. Teams tend to rally around that at first. Since that point the Clippers were abysmal without him. Denver didn't have Igoudala or Gallinari or Chandler (only mention him because we are talking about depth). New Orleans was rolling (for their standards) when they came and played us. Since then, they have a losing record and one of their two wins came against the suns who have the worst record in the West. All I am saying is good for the Raptors and good for us. We are better without him, they are better with him. He never had the confidence he needed here, he knows he's the franchise in Toronto. They won't ever do anything special with him. But they will be exciting to watch. We improved our team in almost every way (financial, depth, and flexibility). We got worse at one position and payed a guy a criminal amount of money who didn't deserve it. Not his fault, we were the ones that offered him that contract, I would accept it too. But he never lived up to what he could have been.

There are like a million arguments you can make that can go either way. The bottom line is, you can't make an assessment about how good a team built around Rudy Gay (or any player for that matter) is in only 6 games and this is essentially what we are debating. I think this debate should atleast be saved for the end of this season before it is revisited.(but I know it won't lol)

I hope Toronto beats more WC teams competing with us. Also, the more they win, the worse that Okc draft pick gets. Double bonus. Go Rudy Go!!

This is the way I feel, and I'm glad to see that posters still support him or have moved on, either is fine with me.

I hope Prince and the others can make a quote about the support they are getting from their teammates.

Raptors are 4-2 since acquiring Rudy. Wins against the Clippers, Celtics, Pacers and Nuggets. We are 2-6 against those teams this season.

I'll say that's pretty impressive.

Memphis is 33-18 in the W.C. They beat among others ->> Miami, OKC, San Antonio, SWEPT Golden State all 3 games. Beat the Knicks, Nets, Celtics, Houston, Utah 2 TIMES, and SWEPT the Bulls who presently have the 4th best record in the Eastern Conference, and SWEPT the Milwaukee Bucks who still have the 8th best record in the Eastern Conference.

NOW THAT"S IMPRESSIVE!! Wouldn't you say?

Memphis is 33-18 in the W.C. They beat among others ->> Miami, OKC, San Antonio, SWEPT Golden State all 3 games. Beat the Knicks, Nets, Celtics, Houston, Utah 2 TIMES, and SWEPT the Bulls who presently have the 4th best record in the Eastern Conference, and SWEPT the Milwaukee Bucks who still have the 8th best record in the Eastern Conference.

NOW THAT"S IMPRESSIVE!! Wouldn't you say?

Agreed. And completely irrelevant to the post you referenced.

and the game winner.

Yeah thats like a million dollars per point. Well done Rudy. Well done.

Dont get me wrong though, I wish him the best. I think it will work out better for him and the Grizz also. We got good returns on Rudy and out from under his nutty contract (nutty compared to his production) which allows us to field a good team moving forward.

For Rudy to have been successful in Memphis he'd require volume shots and those arent available for Rudy in how Memphis is constructed. I'd much rather have the guys we have now taking those shots that Rudy taking them. Not that he isnt a great talent, but not what we needed in this system.

Why am I one of like four people that's not bitter against Rudy Gay? He's happier and more comfortable in his new surroundings. I'm happy for him. Likewise, our team is in a better place going forward. I wish him the best, and I wish the Grizz even better.

Count me in as well. I'll admit I was a bit upset with the trade at first, but now it looks like it's working out for both sides. And being that I'm Grizzlies fan as well as a Rudy Gay fan, I'm pretty happy with/for both situations.

Agreed. And completely irrelevant to the post you referenced.

It's not completely irrelevant to BHZMAFIA's. But I do see your point. He mentioned teams that have a 6 and 2 winning record over the Grizz, and Toronto is 4 and 2 against those teams. I get that.

But since he brought up how a small sample of games is impressive. I was looking at the bigger picture that shows how much more impressive the Grizz being 33-18 as to the Raptors winning 4 games out of 6 and using the fact that we were 2 and 6 against those teams as justification for that being impressive.

Grizz are 33-18 Raptors are 20-32. They now have Rudy Gay. Great, I'm still not impressed.

Go to Central Park and pretend you are the "Fisher King" Thats irrelevant as well. But if you don't like it, well.......! That's ok. This is just a forum that I follow the Grizz. Toronto's not my team,and Rudy ain't a Grizz any more. Have a good life.

Edited by scooter

I think he's just thanking his current team mates not taking a shot at our guys

I think when he said the quote about "its amazing what you can do.......," he was NOT taking a shot at MEM. But when asked what he missed about MEM, he could have said good friends he may have made along the way or some of his teammates. It may not have been completely true, but he could have said that.

However he CHOSE to say "nothing." I would have expected more from Rudy than that, but apparently he was really really unhappy and after seeing how OJ left and exploded, he must have really wanted out. Sorry he feels that way. There are quite a lot of people who were Rudy fans here in MEM.

is it related to Tony Allen's tweet:

Tony Allen @aa000G9 about 10 hours ago

U rather look good score 40 and lose than score 10 and win!!!! What the League Coming 2 ///// smh""

doubtful since Raps won, but made me think

I just checked Rudy's twitter and apparently he has removed the comment. Maybe he wasn't trying to stor up trouble and someone told him people may take it out of context so he removed it?

I heard Zbo texted him "im gonnna beat yo a$$" if you dont take that down

Count me in as well. I'll admit I was a bit upset with the trade at first, but now it looks like it's working out for both sides. And being that I'm Grizzlies fan as well as a Rudy Gay fan, I'm pretty happy with/for both situations.

I'm not bitter at Rudy and I wasn't bitter at him. I am glad he is gone though. Bad fit for the team, he was/is never going to be superstar. He is a superstar athlete without the superstar mind. I always liked him for exactly what he was and enjoyed watching him play.

Memphis is 33-18 in the W.C. They beat among others ->> Miami, OKC, San Antonio, SWEPT Golden State all 3 games. Beat the Knicks, Nets, Celtics, Houston, Utah 2 TIMES, and SWEPT the Bulls who presently have the 4th best record in the Eastern Conference, and SWEPT the Milwaukee Bucks who still have the 8th best record in the Eastern Conference. NOW THAT"S IMPRESSIVE!! Wouldn't you say?

We did all of that WITH Rudy except beating Golden State a few games ago. I still don't see the point you're trying to prove. My point is that you cannot compare Toronto's record before the Rudy trade to our record before the Rudy trade.

If you compare record prior to the Rudy trade, you're pretty much giving him a lot of credit. When it seems like you may be trying to discredit him somewhat for the Raptors having a 20-32 record when they were 16-30 before acquiring him.

Yes, its a small sample size, but they are playing better basketball with him. There is no doubting them. The Grizz are playing better basketball without Rudy now, and there's no doubting that. I just feel like everything the guy says is taken way out of context and this is why he was never going to do well here. People treat him like how Toronto treated Vince Carter, who ACTUALLY DID quit on his team.

And I've still have yet to figure out where people got this "superstar" thing from. I don't remember Rudy ever calling himself a superstar or make outlandish comments like Monta Ellis or other athletes claiming to be one of the best at their position. Being paid $17M doesn't mean Rudy is a superstar, it means we had a dumb front office. That was problem #1 with Rudy and this city in the first place.

Its funny how Durant is praised for being so humble, yet I've never heard Rudy say anything to make him look like he was better than anyone else. His actions may have shown sometime, but he was never the type cause a bunch of problems and never said outlandish things. I do remember Zach Randolph being that type of guy though and for all we know, he still may be a guy that wants things his way. That's why he pouted about coming off the bench last season and had a few games where he kept passing the ball off and not even attempting to score.

Seems like the trade has worked out for both teams so far. Memphis is happy. Toronto is happy. I suppose Detroit is happy too.

I think when he said the quote about "its amazing what you can do.......," he was NOT taking a shot at MEM. But when asked what he missed about MEM, he could have said good friends he may have made along the way or some of his teammates. It may not have been completely true, but he could have said that.

However he CHOSE to say "nothing." I would have expected more from Rudy than that, but apparently he was really really unhappy and after seeing how OJ left and exploded, he must have really wanted out. Sorry he feels that way. There are quite a lot of people who were Rudy fans here in MEM.

I feel the same also. Rudy played 7 seasons in Memphis and all he could say was nothing ? In those 7 years, the relationships with people, food at least, fans, or anything he said nothing. I seen players who had shorter stents with cities had something to miss. Those in long stents had something to express (ex. L.Oden , Tayshaun Prince even)

Rudy's doing good for them. I think he always wanted to go to a larger market. Memphis is a blue collar team. Plus we are back to our November ball movement. Rudy is closer to Baltimore and can jack up 20 plus shots all he wants. But...aren't we 4th in the West?

Honestly it would seem that Rudy would be extremely happy with the events that have happened in the past couple weeks.

He is in a city--a great city I might add--that supports it team well. He is one of the 2 best players on the team and is most likely the one that Colangelo wants to build around.

Rudy should be thankful to Bob Pera and King Jason for freeing him from this dull life in dreary MEM. I would think he would be happy and speak of MEM with fondness as he looks as us in his rearview mirror so to speak.

He could have said that he missed the BBQ or his fans in MEM who watched him grow up in front of their eyes.

But he chose to say "nothing." I have always had respect for how he handled himself here in MEM. He took a ton of criticism, a lot of it earned but some of it unfairly. He never aired his frustrations in the media. He just said he will keep working.

That is why I expected more than "nothing" when he was asked what, if anything, did he miss. Hell, he could have said his friends on the team like Mike Conley or Darrell Arthur or whoever. But he said "nothing." I really thought Rudy was smarter than that. But I guess his true feelings are finally out. He is no longer 3rd fiddle. He is the man. Let's see what he does as "the man."

He could have said that he missed the BBQ...

As a grill enthusiast and someone who thinks Memphis bar none has the best BBQ I do think too many people over value it's culinary prowess here in our fair city. Then again, I'm a guy that likes variety and I really only like eating BBQ a few times a year.

I feel the same also. Rudy played 7 seasons in Memphis and all he could say was nothing ? In those 7 years, the relationships with people, food at least, fans, or anything he said nothing. I seen players who had shorter stents with cities had something to miss. Those in long stents had something to express (ex. L.Oden , Tayshaun Prince even)

If he said the food or the fans, then some LilDeMarDeRozan or LilKyleLowry would be on the Raptors message board claiming that Rudy was dissing Toronto food or fans.

If he said the food or the fans, then some LilDeMarDeRozan or LilKyleLowry would be on the Raptors message board claiming that Rudy was dissing Toronto food or fans.

lmao! True