Sign in to follow this  
Dwash

Harden Traded!

Wow, Harden is NOT worth that kind of money. A guy who has played on the bench against bench talent and has never even been double teamed in his career is likely about to get a max contract extension. Yeah, he's a great sixth man/glue guy and I love his beard but I can't believe how overrated he is by some people!

Wow, Harden is NOT worth that kind of money. A guy who has played on the bench against bench talent and has never even been double teamed in his career is likely about to get a max contract extension. Yeah, he's a great sixth man/glue guy and I love his beard but I can't believe how overrated he is by some people!

In the NBA, a 23 year old player who is top 5 at his position who has performed well in the post season, sacrificed for the team and never been an off the court distraction is not worth 4 yers/$60 million?

If Mayo had played as well as Harden in his career and we had made the NBA finals only to let him go because of $1.25 million per season, you and 90% of this board would be ready to crucify Heisley. To put it in perspective, they could have just turned down Cole Aldrich's option and had the money to keep Harden. Instead they decided to break up a contending team. I think they are a little spoiled and think that Durant makes it automatic that they will continuosly be in the position they were in last season. The NBA and sports in general is a fickle so and so, one day you are the toast of the town contending for titles, the next thing your team chemistry is a mess, players start complaining and you are considered wasted potential.

We will see how this works out but my guess it will take Okc years to recover from this and they are about to waste some prime years of Durant/Westbrook who are still relatively on cheap contracts.

I agree with most that the Thunder took a step back with this trade.. Seems like Okc weighed Harden's value and felt he was replaceable as he faded in the playoffs... They let it be known by signing Ibaka so quickly... They're replacing Harden by committee like we replaced Mayo... Mayo can forget about a big payday...

+1. No 6th man is worth max.

Houston is a few pieces away from being able to contend for a playoff spot. The Southwest just got a whole lot tougher.

I agree with you lilgreg and at first glance, I think Presti covered his/the Thunder's a$$ just fine with the trade. To get KMart, young player in Lamb plus 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick was, IMHO, a smart move.

Thunder gets more picks plus proven talent in Kevin "the punk" Martin (I cant stand that smirk he wears on his face all the time, but he is really good).

And to your point, now we have to see Harden in a Rockets uniform 4 times a year and battle them down the stretch for the SW division crown. Not saying this makes Houston contenders for the whole division title, but it makes them tougher. I was hoping that Memphis could sneak in and win the SW this year. Surely SAntonio wont win 60+ games AGAIN this year. LOL

I think this is VERY good for the Grizzlies. Houston gets better, but not good enough to come anywhere close to us, IMO. The Thunder are losing a HUGE piece to their puzzle though and replacing him with someone who hasn't proven himself as an effective team player.

I may sound crazy, but I think the 2 LA teams are our only legitimate threats now.

TBH, I think LAC's lineup sucks. They don't have a good enough lineup to win the title. They can beat us I guess but we have the better team.

In the NBA, a 23 year old player who is top 5 at his position who has performed well in the post season, sacrificed for the team and never been an off the court distraction is not worth 4 yers/$60 million?

If Mayo had played as well as Harden in his career and we had made the NBA finals only to let him go because of $1.25 million per season, you and 90% of this board would be ready to crucify Heisley. To put it in perspective, they could have just turned down Cole Aldrich's option and had the money to keep Harden. Instead they decided to break up a contending team. I think they are a little spoiled and think that Durant makes it automatic that they will continuosly be in the position they were in last season. The NBA and sports in general is a fickle so and so, one day you are the toast of the town contending for titles, the next thing your team chemistry is a mess, players start complaining and you are considered wasted potential.

We will see how this works out but my guess it will take Okc years to recover from this and they are about to waste some prime years of Durant/Westbrook who are still relatively on cheap contracts.

wow, interesting take. Guess I just see it a little different. There is only so much money to go around as we all know. Losing Harden will be tough but if you have to put someone in his place, Martin, a proven scorer, isnt a bad guy to replace him with.

Now who knows how the chemistry will be with Martin and the others. Will Martin be able to make the right pass at the right time like Harden can do almost every time? Dont know, but Martin can fill it up on offense and will have to be accounted for when teams want to run at KD with double teams. Plus Presti got young talent in Lamb and 3 draft picks. OKC's picks are most likely late in the round picks due to their always good record. But 2 more 1st round picks and a 2nd rounder ensures that OKC will have a shot to keep getting talent through the draft since they are a small market team like we are in Memphis and wont have the money to just go buy FAs like the Lakers or Knicks or Heat can.

+1. No 6th man is worth max.

The question is: is he just a sixth man? The Rockets see in him the potential to be a dominating SG. I see it too. He might live up to the potential or he may not, but it's there. He is a young player, skilled, experienced (has been to the NBA finals, to the Olympics, in the playoffs for the last two seasons...), who has shown to be able to adjust to what the team asks from him.

Plus, there are not so many good SGs out there, when Kobe and Wade age, who is out there? Gordon is another mistery with his injuries.

It's obviously a bet for Houston, just like Lin and Asik are. They usually win those kind of bets, the Rockets.

My opinion, is that LA has the top seed pretty much locked in.... Barring injury. I think Nash and Howard will be excited and driven to snag the top seed. Other than that, 2-8 is a level playing field.

I have no idea how it will work for the Thunder, but my goodness.....what a group on long tall players! Thats if Martin starts.

two things:

1-this does not change OKC's jumpshot mentality. Yes, Westbrook and Durant can get to the hoop 'cuz they are both quite able...but they don't very much. Harden was the guy most likely to head for the hoop...and Martin is not a big driver either. Doesn't really help them...and it ain't like Martin as any better at defense than Harden. He's actually worse if one can imagine that.

2-I cannot WAIT to hear all the OKC fans whine to no end about the team trying to save $. Might the honeymoon between Bennett and the fanbase be coming to a welcome end?

I'm not sure if I agree about Harden being top five at his position but he certainly was a playmaker for them. Martin could well just be a player who takes shots away from Durant or Westbrook. Chemistry is certainly a question mark for OKC.

As for Houston, they may be better with Harden as opposed to Martin but they gave up a lot of picks so how much better are they going to get? IDK

A lot of good posts here. Good job guys.

One huge fact about Harden is how that he has improved every season. Last year he shot 49% from the field and 39% from 3pt. Excellent numbers for a shooting guard.

The Harden trade is good for the Grizzlies, as others pointed out. It also points out that he is a knucklehead, in my opinion. Houston will pay him around 5 million more by giving him a max contract. The odds are that he would have made more by staying with OKC with the 55 million they offered (vs. the 60 million max offer) by getting those fat playoff checks that he most likely will not get with Houston.

Well, I guess we're just an opposite ends of the opinion spectrum when it comes to Harden then, because I don't think he is a top 5 shooting guard, nor do I think he performed particularly well in the postseason. He was god awful in The Finals. He plays decent defense, is an efficient shooter when he isn't being pressured, is a solid glue guy and sixth man that every team would want...I just think he'll be a miserable failure as a number one option. That's about all I can say about him.

Well, I guess we're just an opposite ends of the opinion spectrum when it comes to Harden then, because I don't think he is a top 5 shooting guard, nor do I think he performed particularly well in the postseason. He was god awful in The Finals. He plays decent defense, is an efficient shooter when he isn't being pressured, is a solid glue guy and sixth man that every team would want...I just think he'll be a miserable failure as a number one option. That's about all I can say about him.

REGULAR SEASON

OKC offense w/James Harden: 114.96 points per 100 possessions

OKC offense w/o James Harden: 100.84 points per 100 possessions

PLAYOFFS

OKC offense w/James Harden: 115.13 points per 100 possessions

OKC offense w/o James Harden: 102.46 points per 100 possessions

League average offense: 104.6 points per 100 possessions

Leauge best offense: 110.9 points per 100 possesions

That shows you how valuable Harden is to OKC.

Lebron didn't perform well in the Finals, but you can't say he doesn't deserve a max deal. Whenever you have a team like OKC that made it to the Finals last season, you just don't go and trade away one of your most valuable pieces. They would've been better off moving Ibaka before moving their best playmaker.

Harden also had a better PER than every SG not named Kobe or Wade in the playoffs.

My feelings as well - he definitely is not a Max contract guy. It's another big question for Houston as far as seeing him start. Part of me thinks that Houston is just trying to collect names so the fan base gets interested.

Very few players are max guys, but looking at the value he has to that team, they should've kept him.

I guess people will see that once the games start rolling

A lot of good posts here. Good job guys.

One huge fact about Harden is how that he has improved every season. Last year he shot 49% from the field and 39% from 3pt. Excellent numbers for a shooting guard.

The Harden trade is good for the Grizzlies, as others pointed out. It also points out that he is a knucklehead, in my opinion. Houston will pay him around 5 million more by giving him a max contract. The odds are that he would have made more by staying with OKC with the 55 million they offered (vs. the 60 million max offer) by getting those fat playoff checks that he most likely will not get with Houston.

Well, he's also probably getting a 5th year in that Rockets contract, which is something OKC couldn't offer. That said, I agree it's absurd that they couldn't reach an agreement when all the difference was $5M over 4 years.

Harden is the best young shooting guard in the league (Gordon is up there, but he's injuried all the freaking time). Harden was also the Thunder's best play-maker in my view, and, along with Collison, the Thundet's bench. Losing him is a big big deal.

Martin is KD lite on a team with the real thing. I don't think the parts fit together anywhere near as well. Plus, Martin is a 29 year old vet who has always started and is on the last year of his contract. He's going to want to start. There could be serious chemistry issues. If he starts, they have very little scoring punch off the bench and no defensive stoppers in the lineup. If plays off of if the bench, he could make life hard for the coach and teammates (as someone who wants to start).

This move may be good for OKC's future, but ask Portland (Oden, Roy) about the future. You never know if they will be in the position to contend again. Injuries are part of the game (ask the Griz about that). I think you strike when you have the chance to strike. And going into this season, the Thunder were one of the top 3 contenders.

Ultimately, this is good for the Griz, at least for this year. The Thunder are less dynamic with Martin and now have questions that they didn't have yesterday. The Lakers also have questions, and an 0-8 record in preseason is not promising. That team is old and hasn't found its identity yet and the bench looks to be weaker than I initially thought.

The Griz need to take advantage of this opportunity. The West is wide open.

yes. I think so too.

Bill simmons said the other day that he thinks Rudy will be traded for Tyreke during season.. :lol:

I would LOVE that. Absolutely LOVE it. Tyreke can do so much more than Rudy and can be just as clutch.

I would LOVE that. Absolutely LOVE it. Tyreke can do so much more than Rudy and can be just as clutch.

Like what? All Tyreke does is lose and get worse each year.

Simmons isnt a reporter. He's pulling stuff out his butt.

Yea, I started to make a thread about that Tyreke for Rudy trade..

The only way I see that happening is if the Kings throw in Thornton and we would still need a starting SF. So thanks, but no thanks..

Yea, I started to make a thread about that Tyreke for Rudy trade..

The only way I see that happening is if the Kings throw in Thornton and we would still need a starting SF. So thanks, but no thanks..

Tyreke could play some 3...but not as a starter.

Reke for Ellington and Selby maybe...but even then I might second guess before pulling the trigger.

Why? Seriously the Rudy hate around here is unreal... Tyreke hasn't done a darn thing since his rookie year.