Sign in to follow this  
CoachHesam

Oj Mayo Says Goodbye To Grizz & Hello To Mavericks

Just in general....

I'm seeing a lot of fans on Twitter or listening to them on Vernon, its crazy how many people are really upset about losing OJ. I really don't get it. Are they more in love with the name brand than the actual production? They crucify Rudy for his defense, but what about OJ? Players like OJ come a dime a dozen. Hell, we may have 3 guys currently on the team that will can either be just as good or better than him in Bayless, Selby and Wroten.

It'll be the same thing next season in the draft. NBA scoring guards are not hard to find. Guys who are actually very good at it are. OJ isn't very good at it right now. He still has to find his niche in the league.

I come to realize that some people will complain no matter what. They would've been upset if we kept OJ and didn't get a backup PG, upset with signing Bayless, upset if we got Green instead of Wroten, upset if we kept only 1 of DA and Speights. We probably had one of the better off-seasons in years and people are still complaining.

I guess its just people being afraid of change.

The difference now is that we have multiple options. OJ was inconsistent. When he was on he could keep the scoring up for the second unit, but when he was off that unit couldn't score squat. Now if Bayless is off we go to Wroten or Shelby or potentially Ellington. One of these guys should be able to light it up on a given night when the others can't. I just hope Lionel gets them out there to get that chance.

Also you can count on Darrell or Mo to score as well. We have multiple scorers on 2nd unit.

Just in general....

I'm seeing a lot of fans on Twitter or listening to them on Vernon, its crazy how many people are really upset about losing OJ. I really don't get it. Are they more in love with the name brand than the actual production? They crucify Rudy for his defense, but what about OJ? Players like OJ come a dime a dozen. Hell, we may have 3 guys currently on the team that will can either be just as good or better than him in Bayless, Selby and Wroten.

It'll be the same thing next season in the draft. NBA scoring guards are not hard to find. Guys who are actually very good at it are. OJ isn't very good at it right now. He still has to find his niche in the league.

I come to realize that some people will complain no matter what. They would've been upset if we kept OJ and didn't get a backup PG, upset with signing Bayless, upset if we got Green instead of Wroten, upset if we kept only 1 of DA and Speights. We probably had one of the better off-seasons in years and people are still complaining.

I guess its just people being afraid of change.

This is spot on.

You think so huh? I predict Mayo will crush us in the Mavericks game. We deserve it.

if so, we'll be the first one he cushed :D

You mean the Mavs stay below the Grizzlies and probably finish in 6th, or 7th place again, right?

O, yes, stay in 6th-7th place :P It's hard to forget they were world champions a little while ago.

I get into Mavs boards to congratulation them about getting OJ and give them some sort of idea about what I like in OJ and which type of player I believe he is...most of the boards like him. And they believe he will be their starting sg. I also give some tips in their roster and said I really hope we face them soon...

I have a feeling OJ will become a Grizzlies killer. Easy guy to root for, I'll be keeping up with him to see how he performs.

He can only make 15 points if there are no Nowitzkys in the team, with Nowitzky being there Mayo won't try but 8-10 shots & he'll make his usual 30% and about 6-8 points. He'll also contribute in defense & assist as he did in Memphis.

That was too funny.

Good luck to OJ.

I think that he just lost out on a playoff check for next season...

Mav might get the 6th to 8th spot. But this year Suns is stronger too, they have 2 tougher guards, Scola & maybe more so they'll be in playoffs too, I think Houston or Clips might fall out.

Update! Houston got Lin, that leaves clippers out.

I agree with you... people are writing them off for stocking up on "damaged goods," but they've got some talent there.

You can never write out any team that has 1 Nowitzky in it!

Mayo is going to be a great fit for the Mavs (he'll basically) take Terry's place, and they play a more freely and open motion offense. Dirk will improve his game tremendously! Glad he's happy. Now Go Grizz. He'll love playing again the Grizzlies 4 times a year! lol.

Mayo can take Terry's place but Terry was Terrymendous & rarely ever missed a shot other than being superfast while mayo is a soso player not really great at anything, he can only contribute 6-10 points per game unless they leave him in 40+ minutes which they'll be sorry soon after!

So I guess OJ wasn't all that hung-up on becoming a PG as he stated at the end of the year. Also for all the posters who clamored that Lionel and Mike Conley sabotaged OJ's chance of becoming a PG uhhmmm no other team would dare sign him to play PG. He is a ball dominant 2guard that is all.

He signed on for a cheap contract to play Starting SG again - something technically he prob could've done here. Lionel really started to trust him more closing games with Tony on the bench. But I am glad he is gone as his skillset and limitations did not make him a good fit for our team.

Good luck and good bye O J. Wish you would have gone to the Eastern Division however.

This was exactly what I was wishing for. OJ to the Eastern Conference. Only have to play him 2 times and only 1 time in FEF.

Then I was okay with him going to PHO since that is out West and we would have to play him 3 or 4 times but I could live with that.

But to go withing the division where we are guaranteed to play him 4 times each year, I was hoping to avoid that.

I think it will be sort of a Kyle Lowry situation all over again. He will be gunning for us trying to show CWall and MHeis (although I guess he wont be the owner by then) what a mistake they made letting him walk.

Why is everybody making a big deal about this now this was obvious that this was going to be the outcome when we didnt trade him at the deadline. And I'm an OJ fan but people need to get a reality check on thinking he is gonna like kill us when we play him. People seem to forget we have a first team all defensive shooting guard, OJ might not score ten against TA

OJ may "kill us" but the Mavs are not going to beat us. With their current squad, they will compete with Houston for 3rd in the SW. I wish OJ the best. I hope and expect him to flourish in a starting role for the Mavs. I think that we will see year 1 and 2 OJ we he's not in "demotion" mode for having to come off the bench and he will play more free without anybody to really challenge him for minutes.

I think we will see something like Kyle Lowry at Houston. People were talking Lowry as an All Star because of his performance this past year. And, it got him traded. I think the OJ will be able to flourish because who else is going to be that second option? He can light it up when get gets hot. I think with Dirk demanding attention and taking up space, and with how bad he was for us last year, he is in line to have a "break out" season this year.

I wish 32 the best, but I'm glad that we were already able to replace what we lost in him. I won't unfollow him on Twitter. LOL.

I think we will see something like Kyle Lowry at Houston. People were talking Lowry as an All Star because of his performance this past year. And, it got him traded.

What?

It got him traded? His play certainly did not get him traded. His coach's inability to decide who and what he wanted at the point guard position got him traded. He had an outstanding year....maybe I'm misinterpreting your statement here. If I am, I apologize in advance.

Lowry WAS having a great year, but got hurt. His 1st half of the season a few weeks before the break was great. After that, he was shooting the ball terribly and turning it over at a high rate.

I can only imagine what people would've said if he actually was our starting PG.

As for the thread, good riddance OJ. Glad he found a home and I'm not worried at all about us playing them 4 times a year. Let him put up 30 points on 27 shots. We still going to win

As for the thread, good riddance OJ. Glad he found a home and I'm not worried at all about us playing them 4 times a year. Let him put up 30 points on 27 shots. We still going to win

This +10000

I really do expect him to do much better in Dallas than he ever did in Memphis. I just think that OJ wasn't happy with his situation in Memphis. It's a pretty big pill to swallow to come off of the bench with no hope of ever becoming a starter. I know he didn't like it but, it's not like he was cancerous to the team at all. People on here are saying stuff like "good riddance" as if he was bringing the team down when it wasn't even the case.

Just because he didn't see eye to eye with the coach or didn't like the role he played on the team doesn't make him a cancer. He was always professional and he always supported his teammates. He definitely handled his situation better than Carmelo (who's my favorite player next to OJ), Marbury, JR Smith, Baron Davis, and Dwight Howard just to name a few.

If he finds happiness in Dallas then watch out. I'm a Grizz fan first but, I definitely wouldn't be upset to see him torch Tony Allen or anyone else on the team when they play us just to spite some of the people who think he's a scrub.

Good luck Juice and Go Grizz

Please No more twitties.Be a grown man and stop being a 12 yr old .( DH syndrome has taken over the NBA)OJ is a Mav so what nobody should care but OJ and Chip.