Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BigBankHank662

Will Rudy Shine Or Shrivel In The Playoffs?

As some of the previous posters said, any conversations on trading Rudy Gay are null and void until we see him perform in the playoffs. Even the people who support Rudy the most will be calling for a trade if he dissapears in the PO and Even the people who want to trade him the most will say he's untouchable if he becomes a hero.

From watching Rudy for years, he always seems to to take it up a notch when a spotlight is on him, when we have a nationally televised game or when he's going up against a superstar. Theres no bigger spotlight than the playoffs so he could go crazy.

You guys have watched this guy for years do you have any worries/concerns/predictions about his pending playoff performance?

To me it depends on the matchups. If we go against a team with really good defender at the 3 spot in the first round. Then i think Rudy will have just an average performance.

The one thing everyone acknowledges about Rudy is that during most nationally televised games and spotlights he usually does really good. Also if ZBo can become more of a factor then this will also free up Rudy to perform better. Rudy has had majority of his high scoring games since Zbo has come back to take the double-team focus away from him.

I just hope Rudy gets more comfortable passing out of double-teams really soon. This is the only facet of his game that is really subpar and why he averages so few assists. Zach learned how to do that last year and that made it so much more difficult to guard him. Because he can make you pay by double-teaming him by either making the shot or making the pass to a cutter. Forcing defenses to have to pick their poison. If Rudy learns that then it won't matter who is guarding him.

To me it depends on the matchups. If we go against a team with really good defender at the 3 spot in the first round. Then i think Rudy will have just an average performance. The one thing everyone acknowledges about Rudy is that during most nationally televised games and spotlights he usually does really good. Also if ZBo can become more of a factor then this will also free up Rudy to perform better. Rudy has had majority of his high scoring games since Zbo has come back to take the double-team focus away from him. I just hope Rudy gets more comfortable passing out of double-teams really soon. This is the only facet of his game that is really subpar and why he averages so few assists. Zach learned how to do that last year and that made it so much more difficult to guard him. Because he can make you pay by double-teaming him by either making the shot or making the pass to a cutter. Forcing defenses to have to pick their poison. If Rudy learns that then it won't matter who is guarding him.

Rudy had 4 assists last night, so he's getting comfortable passing out of the double-team. It's a matter of the refs allowing Rudy to constantly get hacked on the way to the hoop. He's doing everything but flop, and he still gets no whistle.

Rudy is actually one of the players I'm LEAST worried about concerning the Playoffs. Contrary to what some would try and have you believe, Rudy has been one of the most consistent players on the team this season (on both ends of the floor).

The debate about whether or not he gives 100% effort every night is based in nothing but speculation. The FACT is, other than a few isolated instances, Rudy has produced on a very consistent basis night in and night out this year.

We shouldnt have worries about Rudy, Im worried about the "mole"

That one player that will undermine.....

he hasnt surfaced yet but come growl towel time, he will.....

The Phoenix game is probably the best game I've seen Rudy play ever, and the reason I say that is he established an identity for himself. And that identity was if Rudy become a post player inside the paint he's just as effective as Zach not better but effective but that's the way he has to play every game...when guys like Jared Dudley is guarding you you supposed to go h.a.m.

I think he'll do fine for us. My predictions are that his "bad games" come play-offs will be 15 to 18 pts, but maybe lacking contributions in other areas.

I think more than half of the games, he will score 22+ and above season avgs in most other categories.

completely depends on matchup

Agreed.

If we face SA they have enough bodies to throw at him and play really good defense.

All other teams in the West I am confident Rudy will dominate.

If the Grizzlies play the Clippers, which is looking more and more likely, then Rudy needs to stand up against a very good defensive player in Caron Butler. What Memphis needs to do in the playoffs is exploit situations where they have a big advantage.

If it is the Clippers in the playoffs we don't need huge games from Rudy. We need huge games from Marc Gasol, Tony Allen and O J Mayo. If Rudy plays solid and Z-Bo neutralizes Blake Griffen then the Grizzlies should be able to hold off Chris Paul's domination over Conley.

Memphis isn't a single player dominant team. The Grizzlies don't need Rudy, Z-Bo or anyone else single-handedly taking over on the offensive end. They need a team approach where you catch teams cheating off one player or another and exploit those situations.

If the Grizzlies can keep a consistent team approach where everyone is making contributions then the team will succeed. If they start relying on Rudy or Z-Bo alone to win games then it will be a struggle.

rudygaydunk.jpg

i have faith in flight '22.

i look forward to watching him in the post-season.

he is a good guy and i wish him an incredible outing when the bright lights shine...

slim.

Rudy just needs to remember how he felt watching the team from the bench during last year's playoff run. If I was him, I would use these last games as warm-ups for taking his game to the next level-which I think I'm seeing.

Rudy just needs to remember how he felt watching the team from the bench during last year's playoff run. If I was him, I would use these last games as warm-ups for taking his game to the next level-which I think I'm seeing.

I'm starting to believe in this too... ike I said I always knew that he is so talented that he could dominate a game, last 2 games he look like he will affect our road on the playoffs big... just focus on get rbs and play D. And we will win that title. B)

Rudy has been nothing short of impressive the last game and during the Suns game, kudos to him. If he regresses back to his laid-back style of play, I'll be very ******. He has to be the man this time, I'm not expecting ZBo to bail the Grizz anytime soon. He has to be the hub of the team, where everyone plays off of his energy.

Rudy has been nothing short of impressive the last game and during the Suns game, kudos to him. If he regresses back to his laid-back style of play, I'll be very ******. He has to be the man this time, I'm not expecting ZBo to bail the Grizz anytime soon. He has to be the hub of the team, where everyone plays off of his energy.

Totally agree. That's as just that is why I criticize him to much... he is a franchise player give your soul out thre...play you best man...your best and just that I'm talking about effort. Real effort.