Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SixthMan

Grizzlies & Jazz - 4/14/2012

Watching the game now... Our defense isn't... Horrible tonight... Just not great. Too many open shots for the Jazz. On the other hand, our ball movement was amazing. So many times the Grizz passing was globetrotter-like.

Can't wait to watch the 4th quarter.

oj mayo is STILL a future star in this league. its funny to me that people try and put him down... they say look at derrick rose and look at kevin love. Well guess what they went to teams that brought into them and allowed them to take the shots and learn to be a franchise player. OJ will have a breakout season next year when he isnt stuck coming off the bench when he is clearly a starter. clutch player that can hit big shots in the fourth and makes his free throws.

Some people forget pretty quickly that OJ was given 2 full seasons as a starter where he played nearly 40 minutes a game. And during that time, a good portion (if not the majority) of the offense was run through him. Even then however, he was only a slightly above average shooting guard. More importantly though, each year that we tried that, we missed the Playoffs.

OJ simply is NOT a superstar level player nor will he ever be. He likely will never even be invited to the All Star game.

Anyone who assumes Mayo will go to another team next year, immediately earn a starters position and 35-40 MPG, have the game plan center around him, and then he'll suddenly emerge as a superstar is living in a fantasy world. Wherever OJ ends up, he will likely have a similar role to the one he currently has in Memphis. The only team where he may be able to obtain a role similar to what the fanboys want to see would be Golden State. They've been running a gameplan that revolves around letting guards go one-on-one and shoot as much as they'd like for years now. And look where it's gotten them...

Point to Ponder for tonight:

An OJ triple is not a triple without putting back the 3pt-pistols in the holstah. :lol:

Screw you Westbrook, Juice is the original 3pt cowboy. :P

Some people forget pretty quickly that OJ was given 2 full seasons as a starter where he played nearly 40 minutes a game. And during that time, a good portion (if not the majority) of the offense was run through him. Even then however, he was only a slightly above average shooting guard. More importantly though, each year that we tried that, we missed the Playoffs.

OJ simply is NOT a superstar level player nor will he ever be. He likely will never even be invited to the All Star game.

Anyone who assumes Mayo will go to another team next year, immediately earn a starters position and 35-40 MPG, have the game plan center around him, and then he'll suddenly emerge as a superstar is living in a fantasy world. Wherever OJ ends up, he will likely have a similar role to the one he currently has in Memphis. The only team where he may be able to obtain a role similar to what the fanboys want to see would be Golden State. They've been running a gameplan that revolves around letting guards go one-on-one and shoot as much as they'd like for years now. And look where it's gotten them...

BUT, he didn't have his guns back then.

Now he has. B)

hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate

But forreal though everyone can agree that OJ was def the first or second option in his 1st season. As for his 2nd season I can honestly say that definitely OJ was often sitting at the 3 pt line waiting for the ball to get to him. Rudy, Marc, and Zach got to control the ball on offense before he did. Most of the time I remember him getting the ball passed to him at the last 2nd by the other starters at the end of the shot clock and it forced him to have to throw up a bad 3 pt shot. I think the issue is not that OJ doesn't have talent to be a starter or a star because he does contrary to what you believe. I just think that Lionel Hollins had a difficult time being able to find scoring opportunities for OJ as a starter. Which I believe is the only reason he is a bench player now. It's not a detriment to the talent he has.

hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate

You know, it really gets old that if you criticize OJ in ANY way, you're instantly called a "hater". Just because I don't think he's Kobe Byrant material doesn't mean I "hate" him.

Seriously, some of y'all need to act your age and learn how to have a debate over a player without automatically writing someone off as a "hater".

You know, it really gets old that if you criticize OJ in ANY way, you're instantly called a "hater". Just because I don't think he's Kobe Byrant material doesn't mean I "hate" him.

Seriously, some of y'all need to act your age and learn how to have a debate over a player without automatically writing someone off as a "hater".

GTG your going to love what OJ is going to do to this franchise these playoffs

# InMayoLetsTrust

Closure: The top 6 in the west are all on wins. The next 8 are on losses. The top 6 are all 6-4 or better in their last 10. The next 8 are all 6-4 or worse.

The cream is rising to the top. The jazz are a terrible match up for the Griz but we ground them down.

2 griz wins or Jazz and Suns losses closes them out. I'm lighting up my 'red aurbach' cigar.

Closure: The top 6 in the west are all on wins. The next 8 are on losses. The top 6 are all 6-4 or better in their last 10. The next 8 are all 6-4 or worse.

The cream is rising to the top. The jazz are a terrible match up for the Griz but we ground them down.

2 griz wins or Jazz and Suns losses closes them out. I'm lighting up my 'red aurbach' cigar.

no doubt. I feel about the Jazz the way Im sure a lot of teams feel about the Grizzlies. I am sick of them. I am so glad we dont have to play them anymore. And I mean that in the most complimentary way. Those guys play hard and they dont give up. Millsap is a really good player.

Al Jefferson is a monster down low. Favors seems to get his hands on every rebound and is relentless tipping it back up over and over and over.

Although I cant stand Hayward and think he is a whiny little baby at times (I also remember he wouldnt even come to Memphis and work out for the team the year he was drafted as if he was like Anthony Davis this year and was in such demand that he couldnt give lil ole Memphis the time of day) BUT Hayward is good and he works hard. He takes it hard to the rim at times and is smart with a nice outside shot.

Utah is just not like any other team in the league. Been like that for years under Sloan. I guess that is why somebody like Demarre Carroll can catch on with them. They have a system and they just want players who can play that system. Dont know if Demarre will make it next year, but I was glad to see him at least getting some playing time

But I am glad to be done with them. No more Jazz thank goodness

first off I was just putting that in there as a joke i guess you just decided to block the rest of my post outta your mind

first off I was just putting that in there as a joke i guess you just decided to block the rest of my post outta your mind

But.....16 times???!!!

Reminds me of the AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Transmission repair shop.

(Now THAT"S funny. I don't care who you are) :D

But.....16 times???!!!

Reminds me of the AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Transmission repair shop.

(Now THAT"S funny. I don't care who you are) :D

Lol in all honesty I was when I put that in my post i was thinking about the Player Hater's ball skit from the Chappelle Show.

Favors seems to get his hands on every rebound and is relentless tipping it back up over and over.

I guess that is why somebody like Demarre Carroll can catch on with them. They have a system and they just want players who can play that system. Dont know if Demarre will make it next year, but I was glad to see him at least getting some playing time

+1

Derrick Favors is gonna be a monster for Utah when Paul Millsap gets traded next season. Also it was good to see Carroll do good in Utah. I've always felt that he would be a good, hustle player in the NBA. Sometimes players (hustle and hard work players) like DeMarre end up bouncing around the league for some time before their game begins to blossom. Unfortunately he started off with us here and wasn't very good. Great to see him doing well in Utah and best of luck to him.

Really?! Just untrue. Man I will not argue with you anymore... it's crazy.

Come on man, you edited-in the rest of that post later. With just the "hate hate hate hate..." portion, it could be easily misinterpreted.

Even if you were just joking though, there are posters around here who legitimately call you a "hater" if you say anything remotely critical about Mayo.

Come on man, you edited-in the rest of that post later. With just the "hate hate hate hate..." portion, it could be easily misinterpreted.

Even if you were just joking though, there are posters around here who legitimately call you a "hater" if you say anything remotely critical about Mayo.

If this is for me I can tell you that you are a hater, you try to found arguments to bash the guy and give a 10 line post to say how he is inconsistent but when it come to give him props you say OJ was big last night. I don't care, but my point on my last post was, besides in his 1st season the offense was never run trought OJ...never. This is the 1st season that LH allowed Oj to hande the ball and even that he regret sometimes... OJ was playing great handle it and running the offense trought him than LH start to use him only in the screens and let Arenas run the offense... Yesterday LH made that sometime but when he adjust to the pick and roll OJ went on fire and then after that doesn't matter he start to hit everything.

I think his performance tonight (while good) only further confirms my previous statements regarding his inconsistency on the offensive end. OJ has some remarkable potential, and we've seen it at times, but more often than not, it is only displayed for a few games before he falls into one of his classic slumps.

To be quite honest, I think someone who could bring 5-10 points CONSISTANTLY would be more valuable to the team than someone who brings 15-20 points one night, then 1-5 the next, so on and so on.

So GTG, you would rather have a guy who could score 5-10 points consistently rather than OJ Mayo? The last time he scored below 5 was two months ago against Utah. You're so down on him it probably wouldn't matter to you if he's a Top 6-8 scorer off the bench, that he averages more points than Manu Ginobili or that he's averaged 15.33 points this month vs. Harden's 12.875. The truth is that he's not just buying into his role, he's turning into one of the best in the business. He's one of our main perimeter threats, he's one of the most creative passers on the team and a very good perimeter defender. You constantly crown him with the title of most inconsistent offensive player on the team when Speights is even way more inconsistent. I know you'll keep waiting until Mayo has a bad game just to prove your point, but who doesn't have bad games? Since you posted this, he has quietly proven you wrong.

This is why I completely disagree with people who say it's better to replace with a guy who gives you 10 points every night or that he isn't worth bringing back unless he's making peanuts. Mayo has won countless games for the Grizzlies just this year, he has the ability to take over games and has proven this throughout the season

I think I already quote this post yesterday but this is just the truth find a shooter that can give you 10 pts every game and we would loose the Kings, GSW, Lakers, Jazz, OKC, ... we can't let him go... just because even when is not that good he is bringuing way more than score. That's my point.

LOL! I've said very harsh things about players, even Mayo especially earlier in the season. So far, it's only you whose been tagged a Mayo hater. You just don't realize it. You're the one making outlandish claims and epic fail statements.

So GTG, you would rather have a guy who could score 5-10 points consistently rather than OJ Mayo? The last time he scored below 5 was two months ago against Utah. You're so down on him it probably wouldn't matter to you if he's a Top 6-8 scorer off the bench, that he averages more points than Manu Ginobili or that he's averaged 15.33 points this month vs. Harden's 12.875. The truth is that he's not just buying into his role, he's turning into one of the best in the business. He's one of our main perimeter threats, he's one of the most creative passers on the team and a very good perimeter defender. You constantly crown him with the title of most inconsistent offensive player on the team when Speights is even way more inconsistent. I know you'll keep waiting until Mayo has a bad game just to prove your point, but who doesn't have bad games? Since you posted this, he has quietly proven you wrong.

Forget about it... is a lost case. But if OJ ever go...he will not be a Kobe, MJ, Wade or someone else...he will be OJ, and man I can't tell that this is for sure scary good.

LMAO it's whatever man even though the 2nd part of the post was def in there from the moment I posted it.