Sign in to follow this  
lilojmayo

Oj Mayo The Best Sg In The Nba 2012-2013?

Kobe/Wade are on the decline Harden is going to be a 6th man still Monta got exposed as a buck Joe Johnson is not going to get better. Eric Gordon is injury prone You give OJ Mayo 40 minutes , 20 FGAs,and PG time. Him finally being the best ( consensus wise) in within his talent spectrum.

Do you think "the best SG (consensus wise)" will be back in Dallas next year with a huge contract or do you think he will get a huge contract elsewhere?

Ok, now getting serious, what do people think will become of OJ this off-season?

tough call. I don't know how much they like him Dallas but they should try and keep him. I don't know if his value has improved to the point of where he sees himself (and nowhere close where lilojmayo sees him). So he might **** around in free agency again and end up having to settle. But will that be with a small contract to a contender or a bigger one to a wannabee like PHX?

I think the Lakers situation is really intriguing. If I were them I would amnesty KOBE and do everything I could to keep Howard (assuming he is healthy - which is in doubt) and rebuild around him. Mayo would be a great guy to hate in Lakers purple in gold.

I think he gets a full MLE from a decent team below the tax line or gets overpaid by a scrub team under the cap that cannot grab a major FA and still has to show something exciting for its fans. Dallas is making space for a big FA signing in 2013 or 2014, and I don,t see them making a long, expensive committment with OJ and limit their options.

He is middle class, and he should get a middle class contract. His PER is not good, nor is his defense, his shooting has come down to the norm. He has had his chances, but the team didn't win with him as a high usage player, right know his usage rate is going down.

The problem for him is that he doesn't have a definite role that would allow him to go to any contending team. He is not a shooter by definition, he has struggled here as a sixth man (that would be his best role, he has the tools, he would have the ball, and he has decent versatility to play alongside the not true PGs that come off the bench for many teams), he is not a stopper or a playmaker. Right know he only plays well as a starting SG with above average usage rate, but he brings some match up problems. He does many things, but nothing at a high level. He is not a better player than the Delfinos and Bellinelis of the world. So he should make what he makes now.

He still has a name, though.

He is worth more than he's getting, but I think it will be real interesting to see what Dallas does with him. If Dallas lets him walk and doesn't match other offers, than that would be pretty damning.

I could also see the Atlanta Hawks going after him, but Dallas would be my first guess.

Just an thought, but does anyone think it's merely a coincidence that the season the Mavs acquire OJ Mayo and give him a perpetual green light is the same year they miss the Playoffs for the first time in 12 seasons?

Just an thought, but does anyone think it's merely a coincidence that the season the Mavs acquire OJ Mayo and give him a perpetual green light is the same year they miss the Playoffs for the first time in 12 seasons?

Nowitzki missing so many games and then having to come back out out of NBA basketball shape, and less than 100% physically had more to do with Dallas missing the play-offs.

Nowitzki missing so many games and then having to come back out out of NBA basketball shape, and less than 100% physically had more to do with Dallas missing the play-offs.

Didnt say Mayo was the ONLY reason, but I certainly think he may have been a contributing factor.