Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

realgfan

Marc Gasol Gets Owned By Good Big Men

50 posts in this topic

Marc is an allstar but when we play teams with good big men Marc is not effective at all he just stands their with his hands up the whole game while guys get easy baskets all night he definitely got to step up defensively I have seen way to many games this year where guys will get way over their season average when playing him

Guess we better trade him or cut him this summer.

I guess he need to play defense better. Jump at least

Rediculous topic.

On a serious note Demarcus Cousins had 38 & 14 tonight against the Rockets. Do you think Marc will ever post numbers like that? I'm not sure he is aggressive enough to ever score 38

Plain and simple if Mike Conley and Marc gasol getting owned by good point guards and centers we are doomed

Horrible. He's only ninth in the league in blocks. We're doomed.

It's probably just a coincidence that Marc's defensive weaknesses correspond with Z-Bo returning to the team. Suddenly Marc goes from being a decent center to a sieve on defense? Maybe having to cover more for someone else has left him vulnerable to being out of position.

Just a thought to ponder.

No offensive, but is it really necessary to create two topics one stating that Mike Conley is a "liability" and we should consider replacing him and the other saying that Gasol gets "owned"? Especially the night after one of our biggest wins of the season?

Excessive negativity.

Good thing there are so few "good" centers in the NBA, then. /sarc

100 post rule

marc knows how to avoid fouls and still play good defense. He forces players to take tough shots- he's not trying to block everything. and yet he's top ten in blocks im sure.

It's probably just a coincidence that Marc's defensive weaknesses correspond with Z-Bo returning to the team. Suddenly Marc goes from being a decent center to a sieve on defense? Maybe having to cover more for someone else has left him vulnerable to being out of position.

Just a thought to ponder.

Wait, are you saying Speights is a good defender? That's a first. And Zbo didn't play in the first 2 games against the Lakers.

I don't think Speights is a good defender, but his length covers up some of his mistakes. You can't say the same for ZBO.

There was a few plays against the Lakers, where Speights was in and he contested a few buckets that would've been dunks on ZBO. For those who follow @HPBasketball on Twitter, he just so happened to point it out when I saw it.

I do wonder how good Speights could be if he got a full offseason list from the coaching staff and a training camp under Hollins. Putting in that hard work to lose weight & improve his weaknesses could make him very good.

If something like that happened, this would allow the team to free up space and gain some depth by dealing ZBO/OJ in a package deal. I know it sounds far fetched, but I would love to see a Speights who reached his potential next to Marc.

BTW, I dont want to trade ZBO...at least not now anyway. But, if this team doesn't reach a certain expectation this year or next year, something is going to happen with the core.

I don't think Speights is a good defender, but his length covers up some of his mistakes. You can't say the same for ZBO.

There was a few plays against the Lakers, where Speights was in and he contested a few buckets that would've been dunks on ZBO. For those who follow @HPBasketball on Twitter, he just so happened to point it out when I saw it.

I do wonder how good Speights could be if he got a full offseason list from the coaching staff and a training camp under Hollins. Putting in that hard work to lose weight & improve his weaknesses could make him very good.

If something like that happened, this would allow the team to free up space and gain some depth by dealing ZBO/OJ in a package deal. I know it sounds far fetched, but I would love to see a Speights who reached his potential next to Marc.

BTW, I dont want to trade ZBO...at least not now anyway. But, if this team doesn't reach a certain expectation this year or next year, something is going to happen with the core.

I'm beginning to like the idea of signing Speights over DA, especially because I feel that Speights is versatile and big enough to play at center. With the signing of a 1st round pick we are expected to be around $8 million under the luxury tax threshold. I think giving him the $3.8 million QO would be good money.

So you're telling me that there is a correlation between the points Marc gives up to opposing Centers and the overall talent level of opposing Centers? What a revelation!!

Centers shouldn't jump on defense because it will be a foul 95% of the time. With his length I want him to do nothing but stay in front of his man with his arms straight up.

Guess we better trade him or cut him this summer.

Nobody is going to take his horrible contract, we must cut him.

9ac333de-00f5-4240-938f-7e4921f693db.jpg

anybody remember this guy?

talk about ahead of his time.

he hand guard handles, with the size of a pf.

had he not 'teamed' up with marvin alexander and gotten kicked off the tigers team early, i really think he would have stayed a long time in the league....

slim.

I thought I was a big grizzlies fan...some of you guys on here head is so far up the grizzlies butt that you can't see the flaws of our team wake up the grizzlies are good but have some serious flaws that need to be addressed and don't get me started on these sarcastic people on here

Rediculous topic.

On a serious note Demarcus Cousins had 38 & 14 tonight against the Rockets. Do you think Marc will ever post numbers like that? I'm not sure he is aggressive enough to ever score 38

Big #s mean absolutely nothing....deron Williams went 50 + and his team barely won, when Kobe scored 81 his team barely won, when b Jennings scored 55 his team barely won...it's a team game ...Marc could scored 50 if we force fed him and he never passed ....we play team basketball so someone scoring even 30 is rare...all about wins and losses...and cousins scored all those points in a loss

YO

I agree with this and I thing Gasol is to worry about foul Trouble sure his positioning is the best the NBA but sometimes he has to be a little more physical there is not reason for Bynum to drop 30+ everytime he plays us.

I agree with this and I thing Gasol is to worry about foul Trouble sure his positioning is the best the NBA but sometimes he has to be a little more physical there is not reason for Bynum to drop 30+ everytime he plays us.

To be fair, he's had to worry about foul trouble because he has needed to play 40+mpg. Now that Hadaddi has shown he can come in and take can of business, maybe Marc can be more aggressive and not have to worry about staying on the court so much. Without Zach, the offense was ran through Marc which was probably another reason he was hesitant to get in foul trouble.

There is no doubt that Marc gets PUNISHED by some big bodies out there. We all know he's not elite, but he provides a certain level of consistency that many teams salivate over. The league is extremely short-handed in regards to skilled centers, especially ones that are so fundamentally sound.

To be fair to marc. When he plays the big name centers they never call offensive three second calls or travels. It's herd to defend am illegal offense.