Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lilojmayo

Official: OJ Mayo is a Bust

I'm not so sure OJ is a bust.

The fro came off today.

6888430587_ef476b79cb.jpg

I was just about to post this.

This is the same haircut I had in high school but the part was on the side, and "I'm a man, I'm 40!!!"

Im starting to lose hope with OJ too. I am also against trading him before but he is definitely not playing to his potential. I am fine letting him go specially if will lock Tony Allen longer!

So, what will be the explanation when OJ finally goes for 30 this season and it happens in one of the next few games?

I'd sure like to find out tonight.

What I'd really like to see more is Mayo missing his first few shots but keep shooting and get hot after a slow start. That would make my comments and other very suspect. I would love to be wrong after all. Mayo's never played well at New Jersey so maybe we are over-reacting to his recent play.

i remember all of oj's struggles last season then he came out on fire in the playoffs. i have no problem with a couple stinkers from Oj because i will be on here saying he's an allstar player on our bench the next time he goes for 20 in a clutch game against a superior opponent

Lilojmayo is Bipolar.

He was too high on Mayo when he was playing good and now he's too low on him when he's playing poorly. The truth lies between Mayo having a greater ceiling than Kobe and beign a bust and having a low character off the court.

I've been critical of Mayo when people demanded he start because I didn't feel that he was the best player for this team in that role. However Mayo is the guy I want on the court at the end of games at least half the time. Mayo is struggling right now but who hasn't struggled at times in their life? He'll get it back and he'll start draining shots, playing defense and rebounding (a very underestimated talent he has).

Let's not forget that Mayo has the most stressful job on the team. It's much easier to start than it is to come off the bench and immediately produce. That's why it takes a special type of person to excel in that role.

If Mayo struggles it is because he has such high standards for himself, not that he doesn't care or isn't trying. 6th men like Jason Terry and Jamal Crawford succeed because they don't let bad shooting nights get to them. Mayo cares when his shot isn't falling. It appears that he doesn't want to shoot 2-12 so if he doesn't feel it he doesn't want to take it. It's the old adage that you don't miss shots you don't take. To be a great 6th man however you have to put a bad shot behind you and keep firing.

Mayo will get hot again. Hopefully tomorrow night against Denver because the Grizzlies need his production. It's easy for us as fans to dump on him when he's playing poorly (and I probably shouldn't have written that comment about the Grizzlies being able to afford him if he keeps playing this way last night) and jump on his bandwagon when he's hot but it's not easy for an elite athlete to accept poor performances. Some athletes internalize it and can't let it go. Perhaps Mayo is one of those players.

Either way I hope he tears up the Nuggets tomorrow night and gets his groove back.

Well said, Chip.

Oj certainly is not a bust. Thabeet was/is a bust as a #2 draft pick.

Oj has won some games for us. His inconsistency is what frustrates us. I hope he has a good game tonight. Maybe he can nail some threes. I think Denver is going to be shooting a bunch of them tonight. I also think Coach Karl will play some zone against us tonight. He knows our perimeter shooting is suspect. He realizes he can't let us go crazy with paint points against them.

liloj, it's ok, you can proudly reclaim your position as a mayo fanboy. he was awesome tonight in all aspects of the game. his hustle was just as impressive as his sweet shooting stroke.

OJ is good again now?

I think his performance tonight (while good) only further confirms my previous statements regarding his inconsistency on the offensive end. OJ has some remarkable potential, and we've seen it at times, but more often than not, it is only displayed for a few games before he falls into one of his classic slumps.

To be quite honest, I think someone who could bring 5-10 points CONSISTANTLY would be more valuable to the team than someone who brings 15-20 points one night, then 1-5 the next, so on and so on.

OJ 6-12 from three in the past 2. He busted open a can on the Warriors tonight again. You should go off more often liloj. That stuff worked big time! :lol: