Sign in to follow this  
lilojmayo

Official: OJ Mayo is a Bust

263662_10100360166260755_3418833_52664427_1461774_n-1.jpg

3 years ago: During OJ Mayo's rookie campaign, a question pondering what this guy ceiling was and here were some of the responses.

better than Kobe, not joking

absolute ceiling? i'd say a better D-Wade

realistically tho Ray Allen

I'd say a better version of Brandon Roy.

27ppg, 5rpb, 4apg.

Mayo's absolute ceiling is Kobe IMO.

http://forums.realgm...hp?f=6&t=862001

6cdb82a5b669ddf1f5479c176649d127.jpg

reality :

OJ Mayo's Feb numbers (9 games) : 32 % FG 25% 3pt 70% FT

not a fan of OJ Mayo anymore. He is a bust. and the ultimate knucklehead, low character guy off the court. Any team that pays a dime for him....just a bad investment. the guy simply doesn't put in the work it takes to be a great NBA player, and he let the NBA lifestyle get the best of him the minute he got drafted. and it shows, Every single game he is regressing. and he doesn't give a f**k about it. Yes, no **** were given. That's how lazy he has become.

Instead of locking himself in a gym , he is too busy being a knucklehead off the court to find time to truly work on his craft.

OJ Mayo at 17 years old is better than OJ Mayo at 20 years old, OJ Mayo at 22 years old, and now OJ Mayo at 24 years old, no doubt in my mind. OJ Mayo's Junior Year in high school he peaked, can't beat around the bush anymore. Then every year following that, the regression came into affect. There is nothing OJ does now better than he could do at 17 years old regarding basketball, besides moving w/o ball and being physical stronger.

back then man, OJ in gym all day working on his talent ( like Kevin Durant does now). Then from his senior year to now, he just wants to be a knucklehead off the court. And more than ever it shows.

and the crazy part about it doesn't bother the dude one bit. Let me get this straight he can't shoot, can't finish, can't handle the ball, or playmake. why is Heisley even paying the guy? How can you go from an 88 % FT shooter over 82 games as a rookie, to 70% Ft. ? obviously he just putting in the work .

I'll go as far as saying that :

In 5 years, OJ Mayo will be out of the NBA and probably in prison ( like his father) yes..... I went there.

OJ Mayo aka Gerald Green II

$incerely,

lilojmayo

He posted this also on realgm... so stolen account seems not that probable. I'd say it's either reverse jinx theory or he has lost it.

Bonus explanations:

-That is lilojmayo's girlfriend.

-lilojmayo's is OJ's girlfriend and not the one in the photo.

me-gusta.jpg

He posted this also on realgm... so stolen account seems not that probable. I'd say it's either reverse jinx theory or he has lost it.

Bonus explanations:

-That is lilojmayo's girlfriend.

-lilojmayo's is OJ's girlfriend and not the one in the photo.

-he is oj mayo

well, 'liloj, don't beat yourself up about it..

i remember just how frustrating it was to follow the career of stromile swift.

the guy, when his mind was right, was one of the most gifted pfs in the league at the time and since.

stro's problem? not smart. at all. sorry, but truth is truth.

also, he completely lacked work ethic.

to be honest, im not sure what oj's problems are.

i can tell you that i was extremely upset last night with him.

his play last night hurt the team. one did not need to see a +- chart...just watch..

oj needs to go hard at the rim. been saying it for years.

a little thing that i have noticed..at the end of qtrs, he always makes sure that he throws up the heave after the clock sounds. that is some new-generation type crap. you think guys did that back in magic's day? guys back then were cool because of their hard work and production/grit on the floor. now, some guys are much more interested with their flair/persona than with their overall production. it is the overall production that counts.

slim.

lilojmayo really does sound like a jilted woman. One day he's/she's all about OJ and the next day he/she hates his guts and is spreading crap about him online.

Lilojmayo is Bipolar.

He was too high on Mayo when he was playing good and now he's too low on him when he's playing poorly. The truth lies between Mayo having a greater ceiling than Kobe and beign a bust and having a low character off the court.

I've been critical of Mayo when people demanded he start because I didn't feel that he was the best player for this team in that role. However Mayo is the guy I want on the court at the end of games at least half the time. Mayo is struggling right now but who hasn't struggled at times in their life? He'll get it back and he'll start draining shots, playing defense and rebounding (a very underestimated talent he has).

Let's not forget that Mayo has the most stressful job on the team. It's much easier to start than it is to come off the bench and immediately produce. That's why it takes a special type of person to excel in that role.

If Mayo struggles it is because he has such high standards for himself, not that he doesn't care or isn't trying. 6th men like Jason Terry and Jamal Crawford succeed because they don't let bad shooting nights get to them. Mayo cares when his shot isn't falling. It appears that he doesn't want to shoot 2-12 so if he doesn't feel it he doesn't want to take it. It's the old adage that you don't miss shots you don't take. To be a great 6th man however you have to put a bad shot behind you and keep firing.

Mayo will get hot again. Hopefully tomorrow night against Denver because the Grizzlies need his production. It's easy for us as fans to dump on him when he's playing poorly (and I probably shouldn't have written that comment about the Grizzlies being able to afford him if he keeps playing this way last night) and jump on his bandwagon when he's hot but it's not easy for an elite athlete to accept poor performances. Some athletes internalize it and can't let it go. Perhaps Mayo is one of those players.

Either way I hope he tears up the Nuggets tomorrow night and gets his groove back.

When OJ is traded, which I don't want to happen, and sucks with another team, then we can say he is a bust. He is a rhythm guy. There were times when he scored 3 straight shots and is taken out the game and come back and can't buy a bucket. The same can be said with Rudy but he plays enouph minutesto get back in the groove. In january he was shooting well. Why? Goof number of minutes and nice offensive flow. If you notice, Hollins has been putting his bs offense and rotations back in the system. It's hurting and killing our already fragile bench. Morrow would do nothing for us without a guard who can get him the ball. Harden is a bench player but plays near starter minutes. Same with crawford and terry. And they have slumps as well. Muscle up liloj and stand by your team.

If Mayo struggles it is because he has such high standards for himself, not that he doesn't care or isn't trying. 6th men like Jason Terry and Jamal Crawford succeed because they don't let bad shooting nights get to them. Mayo cares when his shot isn't falling. It appears that he doesn't want to shoot 2-12 so if he doesn't feel it he doesn't want to take it. It's the old adage that you don't miss shots you don't take. To be a great 6th man however you have to put a bad shot behind you and keep firing.

Mayo will get hot again. Hopefully tomorrow night against Denver because the Grizzlies need his production. It's easy for us as fans to dump on him when he's playing poorly (and I probably shouldn't have written that comment about the Grizzlies being able to afford him if he keeps playing this way last night) and jump on his bandwagon when he's hot but it's not easy for an elite athlete to accept poor performances. Some athletes internalize it and can't let it go. Perhaps Mayo is one of those players.

This. If you watch the great scorers, KD, Lebron, Kobe, and even the guys you mentioned like Jet and Crawford, whether they make or miss the shots they take, they put up the next one with the mentality, "this one's going in". It's like they truly don't care how many bricks they toss, because they're so confident that they won't continue to do so. OJ only shoots that way if he made the shot prior. He loses his swag all too easily. I was sitting in one of the first few rows last night, and watching him was painful. Every time he'd hoist up a brick, you just see him deflating as he ran back on defense. He was really beating himself up over it. And for as long as that is his mindset, he will always be as inconsistent as he is now.

That's something that a lot of the team is guilty of, not just OJ. When Marc's shot isn't falling he becomes increasingly passive. Rudy's as bad as OJ in that sense. The difference with Rudy is that he consistently gets enough looks a game regardless, that his shooting corrects itself. Funny as it is, though, you never see that with Tony... no matter how bad he knows his shot is. Mentally tough, I guess.

I expect OJ will find his groove again for another 5-10 game stretch, and shoot lights out, in the near future.

Funny as it is, though, you never see that with Tony... no matter how bad he knows his shot is. Mentally tough, I guess.

Tony Allen is a little bit crazy.....which is why it doesn't bother him much. But, having said that, I like him on my team.

In 5 years, OJ Mayo will be out of the NBA and probably in prison ( like his father) yes..... I went there.

That's not cool dude!

Is this bizarro world today on the Grizz board?

lilOJ ripping Mayo and his work ethic, and Chip defending him.

Is someone going to start a thread about what a success Thabeet has been.

long long ago in a galaxy far away, my favorite player of all sports was David Justice. i thought he would be future mvp multi world champion hall of famer. I still possess like 100 baseball cards of his, autograph he signed for me personally, etc - i was 13 years old. then he just kind of fell off the map and Hallie Berry divorced him. No big deal - just enjoy the ride while it lasts. a lot of life is pure luck.

Liloj, why does it always have to be the extreme ends of the spectrum with you? In your eyes, OJ is either the next Jordan/Bryant, or he's a loser/future convict. Why not just accept him for who he REALLY is? Mayo is a slightly better than average shooting guard with solid defensive abilities and consistency issues on the offensive end. Nothing more, nothing less.

But I ain't buying this either way. If I recall correctly, you disowned OJ at one point a year or two ago but ended up saying you made a mistake or something and you were back to your old posting habits within a few days.

This. If you watch the great scorers, KD, Lebron, Kobe, and even the guys you mentioned like Jet and Crawford, whether they make or miss the shots they take, they put up the next one with the mentality, "this one's going in". It's like they truly don't care how many bricks they toss, because they're so confident that they won't continue to do so. OJ only shoots that way if he made the shot prior. He loses his swag all too easily. I was sitting in one of the first few rows last night, and watching him was painful. Every time he'd hoist up a brick, you just see him deflating as he ran back on defense. He was really beating himself up over it. And for as long as that is his mindset, he will always be as inconsistent as he is now.

That's something that a lot of the team is guilty of, not just OJ. When Marc's shot isn't falling he becomes increasingly passive. Rudy's as bad as OJ in that sense. The difference with Rudy is that he consistently gets enough looks a game regardless, that his shooting corrects itself. Funny as it is, though, you never see that with Tony... no matter how bad he knows his shot is. Mentally tough, I guess.

I expect OJ will find his groove again for another 5-10 game stretch, and shoot lights out, in the near future.

I completely agree about the scorer mentality that the superstars have. They dont hesitate. Watch Kobe, if he misses a couple shots, does he receive the pass and hesitate and do the useless ball fake? Heck no. He has confidence, as you say, that the next one is going in.

Now Kobe, for example, does have several nights where he does he shoot 25+ times and he does not shoot 50%, but several of them are 3s so the risk/reward factor comes into play. Carmelo, KDurant, Kobe--none of them hesitate. They have confidence and they dont lose it.

OJ is obviously fragile and if he misses some, he begins to doubt and starts hesitating and it snowballs on him. So he decides, this time I am going to the hole with it. That usually results in a charging foul on OJ. Just think about how many times we have watched OJ just run over somebody in the lane. Way too many times.

His shooting percentage goes down down down until you have 2-12 or 3-15 like he has put up in recent games. Shooting is about confidence and OJ has none right now.

263662_10100360166260755_3418833_52664427_1461774_n-1.jpg

3 years ago: During OJ Mayo's rookie campaign, a question pondering what this guy ceiling was and here were some of the responses.

better than Kobe, not joking

absolute ceiling? i'd say a better D-Wade

realistically tho Ray Allen

I'd say a better version of Brandon Roy.

27ppg, 5rpb, 4apg.

Mayo's absolute ceiling is Kobe IMO.

http://forums.realgm...hp?f=6&t=862001

6cdb82a5b669ddf1f5479c176649d127.jpg

reality :

not a fan of OJ Mayo anymore. He is a bust. and the ultimate knucklehead, low character guy off the court. Any team that pays a dime for him....just a bad investment. the guy simply doesn't put in the work it takes to be a great NBA player, and he let the NBA lifestyle get the best of him the minute he got drafted. and it shows, Every single game he is regressing. and he doesn't give a f**k about it. Yes, no **** were given. That's how lazy he has become.

Instead of locking himself in a gym , he is too busy being a knucklehead off the court to find time to truly work on his craft.

OJ Mayo at 17 years old is better than OJ Mayo at 20 years old, OJ Mayo at 22 years old, and now OJ Mayo at 24 years old, no doubt in my mind. OJ Mayo's Junior Year in high school he peaked, can't beat around the bush anymore. Then every year following that, the regression came into affect. There is nothing OJ does now better than he could do at 17 years old regarding basketball, besides moving w/o ball and being physical stronger.

back then man, OJ in gym all day working on his talent ( like Kevin Durant does now). Then from his senior year to now, he just wants to be a knucklehead off the court. And more than ever it shows.

and the crazy part about it doesn't bother the dude one bit. Let me get this straight he can't shoot, can't finish, can't handle the ball, or playmake. why is Heisley even paying the guy? How can you go from an 88 % FT shooter over 82 games as a rookie, to 70% Ft. ? obviously he just putting in the work .

I'll go as far as saying that :

OJ Mayo aka Gerald Green II

$incerely,

lilojmayo

So because you were wrong about O. J. Mayo then he is a bust? Is it really so much harder for you to admit you made a mistake in proclaiming him the next bill russel. It isn't that he would be the next great superstar if only he would try a little harder. It's that you are wrong in your assessment.

Man, you guys are really hitting it out of the park today. The battle is mental for him. OJ's confidence has been rattled and he hasn't gotten it back. The difference between OJ as a rookie and OJ now is that OJ as a rookie was supremely confident. We don't really have a word in English to describe naive, youthful over-confidence. Maybe hubris, maybe arrogance. But once OJ realized he was over-confident and he came back to earth a little bit in terms of what his skills were and how tough the NBA is, he has never been able to find the balance between over-confidence and no confidence. I think I really understand why it's been so hard for Hollins to get OJ to be the player he wants him to be. Hollins wants OJ to shoot more, but OJ doesn't actually believe he's going to go out on the court and make the shots Hollins wants him to make. And chip is absolutely right about OJ not wanting to chuck up 2-12 games. He can't survive a night like that, it would be agonizing for him, but that's partly because he's seen so many stretches where he has really, really struggled, and so few stretches where he has really succeeded. What's peculiar, however, is how Mayo also seems to be built for the biggest games. He plays well when the pressure is the most intense. His playoff performances were excellent. So, we know it's there. We know Mayo has the talent inside of him. Here's to hoping his emotional maturity can catch up with his talent, and soon.

Well I look at it like this, if OJ has bad shooting streaks because he cares too much, or some reason like this, it hurts him. Any player will have bad streaks , but the real studs don't let it get to them as much. I have no idea if this is the case with OJ, frankly I have doubts of where his head is, its not the shooting by itself for me, its mishandled balls, bad dribbling, and shooting. We all know he can play, but can he keep it together is the question.

This is supposed to be his year to make things happen for HIM, and he's not doing it. If he can't do it for himself, hows the team supposed to feel about him.

Like Chip said, I hope he comes out and destroys the Nuggets and has a great rest of the year.

I'm ready to have Zach back, he is the guy all teams like to have, cold blooded, not worried about things, just makes it happen.

OJ is not a bust...

He is NO Kobe, NO Wade, Not even close to Jordan...

And Yes looking right mow we loose the OJ- Love trade...Love devolop into a great pf...I've been watching him and he is great; I still think that trade was nice because we get Zbo after all but we lost the trade...

BUT

He has talent. He can play. And I still believe he will show someday that he is a great player... in the begining of the season he show me that once again that he can devolop into a combo guard that can create for himself and for the others...he also can attack the rim when he want, he is not the most athletic but he is skilled.

OJ is not a lost cause... he has something holding him... is up to him to get past from that block and start be the best 6th man he can...

One of the most importamt things that OJ show me this year is that he really improve on the D end, but even in that he is inconsistent. He seems that lost his fire sometimes...

Most of the things that I point here can be applied for Rudy also...both players have to mature and start to make thier mark in the league to we suceed. Rudy have a stretch of bad games and now he is playing great...at least on the O end... now its OJ. Even Conley has some games that can't shot the ball at all. Our team still young but don't overreact OJ will be fine and maybe will stay...